Anyone ever store an aquarium in a moving POD/Container???

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has experience putting a large aquarium and stand into a moving POD / Container like a Mi-Box? The container company said their movers can get it into the container but there is no guarantee after that. I have no place to store it while we house shop and considering it is used but still a great tank , I am debating whether to sell it or take my chances storing it in the container.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has experience putting a large aquarium and stand into a moving POD / Container like a Mi-Box? The container company said their movers can get it into the container but there is no guarantee after that. I have no place to store it while we house shop and considering it is used but still a great tank , I am debating whether to sell it or take my chances storing it in the container.

No experience, but I would reach out to any friends/family if possible. Another option could be an LFS.

Last resort would just be a traditional storage unit over the pod.

I imagine once it's in the pod and parked it would be fine.

The moving is the portion that would concern me. So if your confident in it's packing it should be alright, but who knows how the moving company will treat it.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stored a 6ft 180g in my garage fir like 4 years. Was told to store it upside down to keep bottom glass seals having pressure on them
My aquarium is 180 gallon rimless tank , so won't be able to store it upside down unfortunately

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the container being moved with the aquarium in it? Or is it just a storage container that you'll go back to and pick up your aquarium from?
The container will be moving with tank in it , the container is moved level because of the moving system the company uses. So it will be loaded on container. Container will be stored at warehouse then delivered when we find a house. Tank will be packed tightly between other furniture

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant that depending on how long you store it, it will not be worth it. As in, can you get money now for it vs cost of new one later. In case you have to go through the glass cleaning and re-sealing.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Delivered​

MI-BOX Mobile Storage & Moving

Level loading and unloading protects your valuables. MI-BOX's patented delivery system takes moving and storage to a new level.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The container will be moving with tank in it , the container is moved level because of the moving system the company uses. So it will be loaded on container. Container will be stored at warehouse then delivered when we find a house. Tank will be packed tightly between other furniture
I would place foam, similar to styrofoam on the bottom and sides of the tank, stuff the inside good but not tightly with old blankets or towels and try to keep away from the outside walls of the container as best as possible.
When the container is moved up and down plus driving, it can flex the walls of the container which is why you should always try to keep glass or mirrors in the center of a container.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Delivered​

MI-BOX Mobile Storage & Moving

Level loading and unloading protects your valuables. MI-BOX's patented delivery system takes moving and storage to a new level.
Sorry, I meant that depending on how long you store it, it will not be worth it. As in, can you get money now for it vs cost of new one later. In case you have to go through the glass cleaning and re-sealing.
It will be stored in temp controlled unit , and is a miracles aquarium from what I was told , so it is built like a tank

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place foam, similar to styrofoam on the bottom and sides of the tank, stuff the inside good but not tightly with old blankets or towels and try to keep away from the outside walls of the container as best as possible.
When the container is moved up and down plus driving, it can flex the walls of the container which is why you should always try to keep glass or mirrors in the center of a container.
Great information, thank you so much .

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya thanks so much

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back