Anyone getting any "deals" on the large Red Sea Reefers...?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone getting any "deals" on the large Red Sea Reefers...?

Looking at a S-1000 (or 900 3XL)...

After you add the red sea lights, protein skimmer, wave pumps it's almost $10,000...

I know there is not a lot of margin for the dealers with these Red Sea Reefers - but 15% off would be nice...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea really doesn't give much room for discount. The are expensive for wholesalers. If they are selling a test kit for $50 the wholesaler is maybe making $5 or so.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spoken to two Red Sea dealers who would divulge the information and was told that their profit on Reefers is 25%.

Not a lot by most standards - but not "nothing" either.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spoken to two Red Sea dealers who would divulge the information and was told that their profit on Reefers is 25%.

Not a lot by most standards - but not "nothing" either.

Hmm I think that might be only if you are a red sea authorized dealer (I just checked from one of the wholesalers to see what the price was on on of their tanks wholesale vs retail). That requires you own one of their big tanks on display and run it how they want it to be ran. I am not sure if red sea can dictate the price wholesalers charge.

Last edited:

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now its really hard to get them in stock. IMO you'll be hard pressed to find a retailer to order something that expensive and give you that type of discount unless you're willing to pay for the whole thing upfront and purchase all the additional items from them as well. 25% is only if you are purchasing in volume and have one on display with all their equipment, not everyone gets that much margin.
Generally the companies willing to do this are smaller guys to make the sale but its VERY hard to get stock right now and the majority goes to major retailers that Red Sea has to appease. A small store ordering this tank likely wont get it direct from red sea anytime soon and if its from a 3rd party distributor they'll have MAYBE 10% margin after paying for freight.
You could have potentially gotten this sale during the summer on a regular year from most vendors(because its slow) but in this current state of things its iffy. Additionally, you might get this discount but have to wait three months which IMO isn't really much of a discount at all...
I think you'll have the best chance at getting some type of discount if you wait a bit till things level and there is a surplus of stock on hand and try to negotiate a better discount by getting a build quote(all pumps, skimmers, powerheads etc) as that way you'll get the absolute lowest price. Then take that to a couple stores and see if they'll beat it. Much like buying a car(in a regular market), people will come down until its impossible to go any lower and keep the lights on.
Good luck!

Edit: Also if you're shopping in a couple different areas keep in mind this thing is HEAVY. Unless you have a bunch of strong buddies and suction cups you'll want to include delivery into your quote at the bare minimum but I strongly suggest asking for setup as well purely because they will have to put the tank on top of the stand as well at that point.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back