Anyone have a good way to dose cupramine for ich

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two clowns and had them in my qt for about a week and notices a small white dot on one of the clowns side of the head I never qt'd before or dosed copper if anyone could give me a guide to do this would be greatly appreciated I don't want to screw it up and lose a fish thank you

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/

Cupramine is ionic copper. I dose until the copper measures a stable .5 ppm. I use the seachem copper test kit, as cupramine is a seachem product.

I increase it more slowly than the instructions say, I take generally 3-5 days to get the levels to
therapeutic levels, 5-8 for sensitive fish such as wrasse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnsamm7

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha awesome sounds good to me so how do u compensate for evaporated water do u still just top off with r/o or do you have to dose the r/0 with copper

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for making this site awesome. I’ll bring my questions here but I feel really prepared as far as research goes now I just got to add some dr Tim’s and get started

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper does not evaporate.

Unless it's being absorbed by rock, sand, or something else in the tank, levels should remain stable. Test regularly to confirm that. _Do_ dose copper to water-change replacement water, and dose the copper _before_ adding the water to the tank.

~Bruce

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea to get yourself a Seachem ammonia alert badge to keep an eye on the ammonia in your qt. Regular testing kits won't work properly when there is copper in the water. Place the badge deeply into the tank away from the aquarium light. It can interfere with the reading on the badge. When you are reading the badge, shine a flashlight from behind or the side of the badge to get an accurate color reading. If the badge shows ammonia elevating levels, do water change with fresh mixed saltwater and copper.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think copper evaporated. Are you sure about this?
Wow I thought I’ve read it on here to fill Evap with copper. Thank you guys for correcting that potential fatal mistake

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper does not evaporate.

Unless it's being absorbed by rock, sand, or something else in the tank, levels should remain stable. Test regularly to confirm that. _Do_ dose copper to water-change replacement water, and dose the copper _before_ adding the water to the tank.

~Bruce
I’m curious about keeping sponges for good bacteria to keep ammonia in check I have two kinds the black corse sponges and the 2colored white and blue sponge

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is water change the only way to keep ammonia down during copper treatment
Or can I add live bacterial

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about keeping sponges for good bacteria to keep ammonia in check I have two kinds the black corse sponges and the 2colored white and blue sponge

I use an AquaClear 110 in my QT, and seed it with bacteria before beginning a round. Bio-Spira seems to work well, but you can also simply leave a new sponge (which has not been used with copper) in the sump of your display for a few weeks, to allow bacteria to colonize it. Copper and antibiotics will slow the reproduction of bacteria, but won't shut them down, and they'll help a great deal with your ammonia levels.

Any surface the bacteria can colonize, through which water can be flowed, will be suitable - sponges, floss, whatever.

~Bruce

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/

Cupramine is ionic copper. I dose until the copper measures a stable .5 ppm. I use the seachem copper test kit, as cupramine is a seachem product.

I increase it more slowly than the instructions say, I take generally 3-5 days to get the levels to
therapeutic levels, 5-8 for sensitive fish such as wrasse.

I agree, I do it the same way. I dose half the recommended daily dose until I reach the recommended PPM so it won't be such a shock to the fish.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have live bacteria in a bottle a biocube29 for the qt bio sphere and sponges .
I can’t seed from my old tank because it is not disease free. you guys are currently part of a total restart button im hitting for my tank. I just finished up setting up a brand new 60g cube stocked with
2 fire fish
1 purple fire fish
1 white belly Wrasse
1 harptail blenny
1 electric maroon
1 cleaner shrimp
And various lps glued to the aquascape

Now around Christmas Eve I noticed what may have been white stringy poop Right there is when I started to research, since then I’ve decided to expand my commitment to this hobby and my livestock. simply put I don’t want to throw anymore money into something and just Hope that it’s not all going to go down the drain one day.

And as @brandon429 put it. I don’t want to wonder what’s going to happen. I want to command what happens next in my reef tank!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back