Anyone Have a JBJ Rimless 65 Gallon AIO?

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a JBJ 65 gallon rimless aquarium with stand through Liveaquaria.com - they had a sale plus a promo code, so the deal was hard to pass up!

Purchasing this tank is part of my cross-country move strategy; I had the tanks shipped to my destination so I could get it set up and cycling before moving out there (in 1-2 months). I'll be transporting the inhabitants and contents of my current Nano Cube 28g (2.5 years old) on move day - it's going to be a 3-4 day drive.

Anyway, I haven't seen much information on the JBJ 65 gallon, and was hoping to hear back about other reefer experiences and setups, including the best submersible skimmer for this AIO. Thanks in advance!

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post @tupes! Not sure I followed what return pumps and skimmer you used - anything you would have done differently? Great stand too!

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have the Octo Varios 2 as the return and the gyre 230 for flow.. not using a skimmer as of yet but possibly will do one in the future. Trying to use least equipment as possible.

Previously I had a 75 gallon set up for a few years and only had a hang on back filter with filter floss.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by the jbj rep at MACNA that I had the first one. Not sure how true that is but, after I got it I couldn't find any articles related to it either.

So I'm looking forward to any builds I can find with our tank.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by the jbj rep at MACNA that I had the first one. Not sure how true that is but, after I got it I couldn't find any articles related to it either.

I'd love to contribute, especially there is very little user info out there on the 65 gallon. I actually purchased two of them, white stands, one as an upgrade to my current Nano Cube 28, and the other as the new home for my freshwater planted tank. I will need to find out what skimmers will fit in the AIO sump, and decide if the included return pumps need to be upgraded (looks like a couple IM MightyJet Desktop or Sicce Syncra 1.5s may be good choices - the Reef Octopus is great gear, but may be a bit of a reach for my build)

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I built an Arduino-based controller for the NanoCube 28g, and this will be transferring over to the JBJ 65 AIO
ArduinoTouchController-3027.jpg

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have more info on the controller build?

I didn't document the build, but it's made with parts purchased from Amazon; I coded using the Arduino.cc compiler. The interface is via a 2.8" touch screen LCD and devices are controlled via a relay module:
  • FEED: turns ON the wavemaker and everything else off for 15 minutes (countdown appears in top left of display)
  • CHG: turns everything (Skimmer, ATO, pumps & wave maker) OFF for 30 minutes (countdown appears in top left of display)
  • Rato: cycles the ATO OFF for 15 seconds, then back ON
  • SKM, ATO, PMP and WAV toggle the state of the corresponding device (status of each device is displayed in the small third line of text; blue signifies OFF, white ON)
  • CA, Mg, NO3 & PO4 provide timers and prompting for the corresponding Red Sea Pro test
Build cost was about $75 - $100. No WiFi or Bluetooth, though, so a DIY builder project, but I do love the functionality.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have one. Been up and running since late October. Still no coral so its a FOWLR as of right now. About a dozen fish. Also still waiting for my Clearview lid before adding coral. Hopefully that shows up within the next two weeks or so.
2 Kessil a360's
Tunze 9004 Skimmer
Drop Algae Scrubber (Santa Monica Filtrations)
Red Sea Media Cups (ditched the filter socks)
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
2 Colbat Aquatic Neo-therm heaters

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet for the skimmer in my opinion is the Tunze 9004. There aren't a ton of options but so far that one has been the best out of the two I've used (Hydor Slim Skim was the other). It skims wet but it gets the job done.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I just got my JBJ 65 gal AIO.
How do you like yours? I’m deciding between this tank and the Innovative Marine 50 Lagoon. I have a IM 150 and absolutely love it. So I know I would love the 50. But I like the 36” width on the JBJ and little extra height. Glass is 10mm on the IM and 8mm I think on the JBJ so there’s that. Price is comparable.

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having our tank! Though I'm not sure I have any frame of reference for liking the 65g JBJ over anything else. The biggest thing I don't like is one of our return pumps died before it was 2 months old. Also,I'm only 5'5" and it's a smidge too deep for my arm. But a long pair of tongs makes up for that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back