Anyone have a small but permanent RODI setup? I'm talking like 10 to 20 gallons storage max.

Bmr4Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32G tank and a 4 stage RODI. I have room in my basement to mount the unit near my existing whole house water filter. Waste water would pipe out the exterior wall and the good water would go into a rectangular storage tote. I'd add a float and a spigot near the bottom to gravity drain to a water pitcher (for evaporation) or 5 gallon bucket (for salt water changes).

Anyone have a small setup similar to this?
Any ideas to do this better but keep it small, like no large Brute drums?

Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 4-stage 100 Gps RODI, and I hooked it up under the basement sink with a 6-gallon pressure tank (which holds 3.5-4 gallons of water). Takes 40min to fill a standard 5-gallon water jug, and I just keep a few of these lying around.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those "square" tanks:

I mounted a float valve inside an 85L container with RO water feed. The RO feed does not need to be continous, I turn the unit for a day when there is only 25% left to top it off (typically last me for about 3 weeks)..

The container is actually sitting outside and is elevated above ground/sump level by about a meter or so - that way I can feed water by gravity to the tank. There is a float valve in the sump (pump section) - that opens when water level drops below certain level.

Very simple setup - no hassle at all. I appreciate my container is outside and the risk of overflowing is non-existent, but in my experience no float valve ever failed. Even in the sump - where the water is not pure I never had issues. Inside RO water container the water is absolutely pure (provided there is not much light around and the float itself is actually elevated above water level - so there is nothing to make the float valve to fail and your overflowing risk should be very low.

Last edited:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your water is questionable for personal consumption. You could get a storage compression tank, RO/DI Faucet or hook it to your refrigerator for the ice maker and water dispenser, to justify the cost.

OP
OP
B

Bmr4Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your water is questionable for personal consumption. You could get a storage compression tank, RO/DI Faucet or hook it to your refrigerator for the ice maker and water dispenser, to justify the cost.
I've already installed a whole house water filter system in the basement. The rodi would be down stream of that. I just don't want to take up a lot of room storing a large container for the water.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 20 gallon RV water tank. Small form factor (nice and narrow) lets it fit between my utility sink and washing machine. I just installed a ball valve at the bottom of one side so I can fill my 5 gallon buckets as needed and a float at the top to shut off the RODI. Simple and effective.

OP
OP
B

Bmr4Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 20 gallon RV water tank. Small form factor (nice and narrow) lets it fit between my utility sink and washing machine. I just installed a ball valve at the bottom of one side so I can fill my 5 gallon buckets as needed and a float at the top to shut off the RODI. Simple and effective.
That's very close to what I want. Only difference being I want a rectangular Brute tote so it can go in my tote storage under my work benches.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one! I bought a small 10 gallon Brute Trash can w/ lid from Amazon. I installed the RO/DI system in my basement right off the Manabloc (manifold for water distribution) using a garden spicket attached to the manabloc. The brute can has a float valve installed f/Amazon and as of today is plumbed into my home plumbing for waste water. I use 5 gallon buckets to transport the water and mix the salt in since I have to carry it up to the second floor of my house.

TLDR: You can buy nano 10-20 gallon brute trash cans on amazon for ~$25

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back