Anyone have any experience with the Avast Marine Extra Long Porthole?

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting this but I don't see many reviews on it. Anyone have experience with it? I ordered the long one for my mirrorless camera and was wondering if anyone had any issues with it like it leaking or anything

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the small one normally and it works great and no leaks.
just odered the extra long one which would allow me to get closer I believe to corals deeper in the tank. I'm more worried about having to zoom much if I'm using a shorter lense as then the edges of the porthole would show. I'll be receiving mine in few days and will be able to give a better answer.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the small one normally and it works great and no leaks.
just odered the extra long one which would allow me to get closer I believe to corals deeper in the tank. I'm more worried about having to zoom much if I'm using a shorter lense as then the edges of the porthole would show. I'll be receiving mine in few days and will be able to give a better answer.
Awesome thanks for the reply.

Eases my mind a little that they're infact water tight.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just received mine today and it cracked within 5 minutes of me trying to get it setup. I was applying the screws to the housing to secure my lens and one of the screws instantly cracked the side of the housing and chipped off a big piece. This is really disappointing because I was barely getting it tightened down and it seemed to have snapped at the slightest bit of pressure that was applied to it.

It's pretty badly made as far as materials come. The see through acrylic on the bottom had most of its protective film already peeled off and it was pretty scratched. The orange filter it came with had pretty bad chipping on the edges.

I contacted their support and asked for an exchange because I'm hoping I just got a bad piece.

Never even got a chance to use it.

All I can say is when you receive yours be gentle with how you tighten it around your lens. The plastic is incredibly cheap.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just received mine today and it cracked within 5 minutes of me trying to get it setup. I was applying the screws to the housing to secure my lens and one of the screws instantly cracked the side of the housing and chipped off a big piece. This is really disappointing because I was barely getting it tightened down and it seemed to have snapped at the slightest bit of pressure that was applied to it.

It's pretty badly made as far as materials come. The see through acrylic on the bottom had most of its protective film already peeled off and it was pretty scratched. The orange filter it came with had pretty bad chipping on the edges.

I contacted their support and asked for an exchange because I'm hoping I just got a bad piece.

Never even got a chance to use it.

All I can say is when you receive yours be gentle with how you tighten it around your lens. The plastic is incredibly cheap.
curious to see what support says. I've been waiting for these to come in stock: https://buildinganobsession.com/shop/camera-tube

I wonder how the avast compares

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update.

I got in touch with their customer support and they've been very helpful and understanding. Although I'm not very happy with the quality of the product itself they did send me a replacement to check out again. I'm going to be crazy gentle this time and hopefully it works well.

All I can say is that their customer support is top-notch. Quick to respond and quick to resolve any issues.

I could have gone with a refund but I really want to try this item out so I'm giving it another shot.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received my second port hole today and I've been very gentle with it this time. Just barely tightening it so its holding onto the lens.

I took this shot of my TSA Hollywood Stunner. I only took this one shot because I didn't have time to really experiment with it. Just quickly stuck it on my lens and snapped a shot. Haven't done any editing to it besides resizing/cropping.

sS_xaYIw.jpeg

I'm liking the port hole so far. Gonna use it some more tonight and I'll post the pics up.

Last edited:

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the extra long porthole and so far:
- does not leak water in
-it feels a bit more brittle than the standard one but that most likely is because of the additional rim for mobile holder the standard porthole has.
- my main issue is I got it to use with my longer 70-2002.8 nikon zoom but it slipped my mind that the focusing ring on the new e version is at the end of the lens away from the camera vs the usual closer to camera position so no real advantage for the longer porthole. Might still be useful on the 24-70 2.8 I'm adding. Good thing is that it doesn't show on the edges of pics even at 70 mm. Also minimum distance to focus is important as u don't want a porthole that takes ur lense deeper in water if minimum focusing distance is more than 15 inches, tank depth also has its role .

So bottom line a tricky choice between standard and extra long porthole, so.make sure to choose wisely.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back