Anyone have experience with Dr. G's coral dip

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days I bought a random acro frag from an LFS, and noticed tiny white bugs crawling around the frag. The Coral Rx dip removed a lot of critter but not all. Since I have no other Acros in my system, I decided to put it in anyway on my frag rack. I can't see any visible signs of stress on the Acro or any obvious bite sites, but from the reading I've done today on this matter, it's best to take action right away.

There is a reefer here who successfully, for the most part, treated his system with Dr. G's, however I'd like to avoid treating the entire system and want to use it as a dip. Has anyone had experience with it? I know Interceptor is successful, but if it saves me the vet hassle, then I should give it a try.

Thanks,

renzema

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it for treating red bugs. Its the same active ingredient as Interceptor, dog dewormer. You can't do a short dip with it. I would set up a QT tank and run it for the suggested amount of time to kill the bugs. Since the corals in the display, you can assume they would be left in the display if you pull them now.

Could put in QT, treat with Dr. G and let the display go fallow long enough to starve them out.

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in the directions they say to bath the coral for 6 hours in separate container. I have a standard 10g tank, a heater, and a HOB filter but no spare lights other than a crappy Aquamaxx light, so, i'm not sure how long I could quarantine the frag.

I suppose I could quarantine it in the spare tank treated with the solution for a couple of days, I don't want to stress the coral by not having any lights on it.

I'm not too worried about the bugs spreading throughout the system since not other Acros.

Also, slightly unrelated, their website charges $15 for shipping!

renzema

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 hours is fine. It should kill them. I love the stuff and run all my corals through it before into the main display.

Started doing it after picked up a small tort and it came with red bugs. Bugs made it through Bayer and Coralrx

Also, the shipping is a bit BS, but it is the only product that I know of over the counter with the proper meds.

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it's part of your acclimation protocol now? I wonder why this product is not more mainstream or talked about.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 hours is fine. It should kill them. I love the stuff and run all my corals through it before into the main display.

Started doing it after picked up a small tort and it came with red bugs. Bugs made it through Bayer and Coralrx

Also, the shipping is a bit BS, but it is the only product that I know of over the counter with the proper meds.
What’s your 6 hour protocol?

renzema

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your 6 hour protocol?

It's what is suggested on the bottle I believe.

Personally I have a 10g tank with a 26hd over it. I run frags through it for 1 day.

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Charlie’s Frags - I was just going to reply to a post of yours on a similar thread. You said you followed the directions and everything died in 3 hours, along with the frags. You did the 6 hour dip as suggested on the directions?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get interceptor through Canadapetcare. That’s where I got mine for my white bugs.

And I’d suggest a full tank treatment if you want to get rid of them. Even with one frag they can go onto rocks and then come back once you add the frag unless you can qt frag for the bugs to die in the DT.

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get interceptor through Canadapetcare. That’s where I got mine for my white bugs.

And I’d suggest a full tank treatment if you want to get rid of them. Even with one frag they can go onto rocks and then come back once you add the frag unless you can qt frag for the bugs to die in the DT.

How did your treatment go- I see you got some chews instead of a pill. How did you go about treating your system. We have similar water volume, mine is a 25g IM, with about 17 gallons of water after displacement.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your treatment go- I see you got some chews instead of a pill. How did you go about treating your system. We have similar water volume, mine is a 25g IM, with about 17 gallons of water after displacement.
I did my treatment for 20hours before a water change. This just worked best for me due to work etc. I believe normal recommended treatment is 6-12 hours.

I just finished my second dose so I have one more to go. The chews are a little pita to crush but I just used a knife to chop it up really fine then take 4 cups aquarium water to dissolve. It seems a little “dirty” but so far corals are looking good and no negatives from it. I removed all my hermit crabs (got rid of these while I was in there snails only from now on) and sadly couldn’t find my sexy shrimp during second dose so it died somewhere in the tank.

As far as white bugs I haven’t been able to see anymore in the tank. Had 2 frags die right when I got interceptor but currently the pink caddy stopped its stn and is looking like it will recover! One monti recovered before I got the chews and the other seems to be coming back although this one lost a lot of flesh. The Walt Disney and pink lemonade still unaffected completely.

I had 16g total when I did first does so I used .36 grams of the pill equated to about 23%. Second dose I added rfg and about 1 gal to the system so now I’m at 17G total volume and used .4 grams which was about 25%.

Here’s a good calc and some instructions of treatment

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, thank you so much for that write up. I was wondering how one would crush up a chewable pill. It looks like Chewy.com has them in stock too.

I think I got my game plan figured out. I'm going to remove a rock from my display that doesn't have anything but bubble algae on it, some rocks from sump area, the turbo snail and the limpits and put them in my spare 10g while I treat the display.

Last edited:

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if you have a prescription chewy is fine. I don’t have any other pets besides my fish so I couldn’t get from the USA. Canadapetcare you don’t need a prescription either.

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if you have a prescription chewy is fine. I don’t have any other pets besides my fish so I couldn’t get from the USA. Canadapetcare you don’t need a prescription either.
Yeah, I just noticed that right now, oh well. Guess i'll order through Canadapetcare, in the meantime, I think I might do a CoralRx dip to see if I can eliminate a few of these bugs.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just noticed that right now, oh well. Guess i'll order through Canadapetcare, in the meantime, I think I might do a CoralRx dip to see if I can eliminate a few of these bugs.
CoralsRx did nothing for me. It did irritate them and made them come out of the coral but didn’t kill/stun at all.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Charlie’s Frags - I was just going to reply to a post of yours on a similar thread. You said you followed the directions and everything died in 3 hours, along with the frags. You did the 6 hour dip as suggested on the directions?
Yes I followed the instruction on the bottle for a 2g container. That is 2 oz or 1/3 the bottle for 2 gallons. Which I find extremely overboard considering most ppl do 1 ml per gallon for the in tank treatment

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I followed the instruction on the bottle for a 2g container. That is 2 oz or 1/3 the bottle for 2 gallons. Which I find extremely overboard considering most ppl do 1 ml per gallon for the in tank treatment
Yeah, I read that thread too. Also, look at what the ingredients are listed now on their website: Proprietary Formula, with Vitamin C, and RO/DI Water.

I was still considering Dr. G's, but now I think i'll just go with the usual Interceptor treatment.

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralsRx did nothing for me. It did irritate them and made them come out of the coral but didn’t kill/stun at all.
Yeah, I know, but that's exactly what I want to do at the moment, until I get the Interceptor.

@phokusonmi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up doing the dip overnight as the lights were turning off, through the morning. Had a 32qt container that seemed to work as a mini tank. i added a wave make and heater. I only had one bottle of Dr. Gs and used the entire contents. I don't see any bugs to the visible eye or eggs. however, I'd say there was a loss of about 15% of my SPS. The dip might have accelerated those deaths... what was bound to happen. From the Dr. G dip I washed the corals in FragRecover for about 8 mins. Then put them in the tank. I will follow up in a week or so.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back