Anyone have experience with the Huchti anthias?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently working to finish out my tank stocking, and these fish caught my eye a while ago but I've not found any info on them. I have seen them for sale before at my LFS but wanted to know if they are generally easy to keep, or if they are one of the reluctant feeders. As background the tank is a 125g mixed reef with plenty of rock crevices.

Thanks so much and have a nice day! God bless.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently working to finish out my tank stocking, and these fish caught my eye a while ago but I've not found any info on them. I have seen them for sale before at my LFS but wanted to know if they are generally easy to keep, or if they are one of the reluctant feeders. As background the tank is a 125g mixed reef with plenty of rock crevices.

Thanks so much and have a nice day! God bless.
More importantly, how are those specific ones you are considering eating at LFS?

General species comments are never as important as specific individual behaviors. WATCH them eat, don't just take LFS word on it as heartache only comes from that path. Whatever you see them devour (not eat and spit out... that isn't "eating" either) make sure you have that at home. Good luck!

Guessing you already googled:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hutchii, along with lyretail, are part of the franzia subgenus. Care requirements are very similar. Both bullies.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More importantly, how are those specific ones you are considering eating at LFS?

General species comments are never as important as specific individual behaviors. WATCH them eat, don't just take LFS word on it as heartache only comes from that path. Whatever you see them devour (not eat and spit out... that isn't "eating" either) make sure you have that at home. Good luck!

Guessing you already googled:
Thank you for reminding me of this. I tend not to ask about feeding, if only because I forget about it, but I appreciate the advice a ton, as I'm completely new to Anthias so I'm trying to gather as much info about them before I consider adding.
Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hutchii, along with lyretail, are part of the franzia subgenus. Care requirements are very similar. Both bullies.
I thought they may be close by their morphology, cool to know I was right. Aggression shouldn't be the biggest issue as I mainly have, and plan to have, moderate to aggressive fishes, but I will keep it in mind if I decide to look for them. Thanks for the input!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back