Anyone have idea on this? Spots on Flame Hawk

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea? Treated tank with Prazi three days ago, so I don't think flukes. 1.jpg
2.jpg

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea? Treated tank with Prazi three days ago, so I don't think flukes. 1.jpg
2.jpg
I would guess ich but I have very little experience with fish diseases and parasites. The spots may too big to be ich I’m not sure how big they can get. I just know that most times, IME, white spots means ich

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting for more background info, this could be disrupted scales/lesions from where flukes had been dislodged by the prazi. It isn’t ich.
Jay

OP
OP
V

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much to add. I've been doing this off and on for about 15 years. Know enough to be dangerous. I'm familiar with ich, velvet, brook, flukes, etc. Tank mates: yellow tang, bangaii pair, gramma pair, possum wrasse, pink streaked wrasse, yellow goby, roland's damsel.

All of my fish go through this quarantine method: TTM, first eight days every 24 hrs to clear velvet. Next six days every 48 hours to ensure ich is cleared. They get general cure for the 14 days. Then 14 days into observation.

I've had the hawk about 14 months. Eats ok. Tends to pace at the top of the tank sometimes. I made a post about that, but nothing conclusive other than he may want a high perch spot. Most of the day he sits around in different spots on and in the rock. I gave him a round a prazipro the other day because of the next photo and his pacing.

Pacing:

I posted this on July 12th. No conclusive answer.
JUL12.png

Then in the last couple of days, I saw the spots in my first post.

I put him in qt last night. Today, he looks like new again, lol. The spots are gone as far as I can tell. Has me stumped. I asked a guy at a LFS today who's been in the business for years, and he didn't have any idea either.

Today.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second to last picture seems to show mucus from the fish, not directly a parasite. The fish's color is much better in the last picture, but is that just an artifact of the way it was photographed?

Does your tank have a skimmer in the sump? That pacing looks a bit like a fish trying to stay in higher oxygen levels near the surface. Without aeration somewhere in the tank, aquariums can develop low oxygen, high co2 issues.

Finally, your quarantine method won't always control Neobenedenia flukes (the large egglaying species) and flame hawks are really susceptible to that. However, you would see evidence of that in other fish, and the long timeline doesn't match up.

Jay

OP
OP
V

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second to last photo, I have him in a dipping cup and sitting on the kitchen counter. Whenever he is feeling stressed he fades out and his black bar gets stripes like that. He does this also whenever I turn the flow up to 100%, or he is in his pacing mode. Most of the time he is pretty saturated red, close to the last photo, which actually came out slightly orange. He was a little more red than that, when I took the photo.

Skimmer running in sump, and I have the returns breaking the surface.

I think I'm going to start three rounds of prazi during quarantine, one at the start, at 7 days, and at 14. Flukes have me spooked at this point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would do....

Jay

OP
OP
V

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. So I completed three rounds of prazi. He has stopped pacing, and now hangs out on and in the rock. Color has been holding deep red, and I haven't seen him having his stress fading. Conclusion is he was being agitated with flukes, and the spots were mucus at attachment points after the first round of prazi.

I had assumed general cure in quarantine was covering flukes, but probably was not. I'm going to incorporate three rounds of prazi in future. Thanks for everyone's input.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back