Anyone have issues with the IM Nuvo Auqa Shield UV Sterilizer?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm battling dinos (ostreopsis confirmed via microscope) in my IM Nuvo Lagoon 25. Accordingly, I installed the 9-watt Auqa Shield UV Sterilizer designed to fit the back chmaber.

The sterilizer did absolutely nothing. Since then, I have turned it off, and Dr. Tim's refresh has done more to suppress the ostreopsis (albeit not beat them--still quite a few after four days) than the UV ever did.

Anyone else have a similar issue with this particular UV sterilizer or am I the anamaly?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it but haven’t had to fight Dino’s. It did however help with a GHA bloom. Regardless, UV sterilization requires adequate exposure to UV lighting. Do you have a DC pump? If so, slow it way down. That will increase the exposure time.
Also, it won’t sterilize what doesn’t travel through the sterilizer. That means that you need to manually clean up as much as you can from the display.
Between manually cleaning the dinos and letting the free floating organisms in the water column pass through the sterilizer I suspect you will have some success.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, and my water is very clear. But then again, I do have some GHA and a few other ‘light’ sand bed problems, so it begs the question... would the water still look as clear without the IM UV sterilizer?

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it but haven’t had to fight Dino’s. It did however help with a GHA bloom. Regardless, UV sterilization requires adequate exposure to UV lighting. Do you have a DC pump? If so, slow it way down. That will increase the exposure time.
Also, it won’t sterilize what doesn’t travel through the sterilizer. That means that you need to manually clean up as much as you can from the display.
Between manually cleaning the dinos and letting the free floating organisms in the water column pass through the sterilizer I suspect you will have some success.

That's fair. My return pump is a sicce 1.5 turned all the way up.

I figured that was fine because BRS said dinos only need light exposure (pun intended) for a UV to kill them. I'll try turning down the pump to see what happens.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair. My return pump is a sicce 1.5 turned all the way up.

I figured that was fine because BRS said dinos only need light exposure (pun intended) for a UV to kill them. I'll try turning down the pump to see what happens.
How did you get on with the UV?

looking to buy one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back