Anyone have success with blue reef chromis?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ordered 5 blue reef and 3 were dead on arrival. the fourth died in QT. I have had the sole survivor for about a year now. It mixes in well with a group of blue/ green chromis and is not as aggressive as the blue green. Mine have done well on two feeding per day.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank do you think is required to fit 3 blue reef chromis? I have a 40 gallon and based my thoughts on getting this fish from live aquaria + my LFS telling me I would be able to do so. I thought it might have been too good to be true....

As mentioned above you will start with 3 and likely end up with 1 over time. It's not about the size of the tank per se, it's more a combination of the size of the school and the size of the tank required to keep them. The folks who seem to have the most success with Chromis are those who keep schools of 10 or more (which would be beyond impossible in a 40 gallon tank). You could try just getting 1 and seeing how it does, but personally I would just pass and go with another fish. Plenty of decent fish suited for a 40 breeder.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find healthy ones, most chromis need to be fed like anthias (multiple times per day) to avoid them killing each other off. I've never tired the blue chromis (though they are on DD regularly) as they get a bit too large for a dither fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad. It seems to be mostly bad news to managing so called "peaceful" blue reef chromis despite larger tanks sizes...

The thing to remember about the Peaceful label, is that the label really only applies to how they interact with other kinds of fish. Virtually any Peaceful fish is likely to be aggressive towards members of it's own species (unless they are a mated pair).

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 blue-greens that have done well for several years. There is definitely one that is dominant (I assume the male). They have even spawned multiple times. They were originally in a 75 gallon, but upgraded to a 125 a little over a year ago. I do think the key is several feedings a day and lots of places to hide for the "subservient" ones. They were a little puny when they came in. I quarantined in a 10 gallon tank and got them to start eating well on newly hatched brine shrimp, then weaned them off of that and onto pellets. I now feed those pellets 4 times a day (auto feeder). I feed a mix of the the Hikari Seaweed Extreme (small pellets), Hikari Marine S, and Piscine Energetics PE Pellets (1 mm). I also get them a variety of frozen foods several times a week. They also snack on the occasional nori I put in for the tang. They have even spawned on the nori! Once the dominant one passes I will probably order a larger group next time... a dozen or so would be awesome!

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 blue-greens that have done well for several years. There is definitely one that is dominant (I assume the male). They have even spawned multiple times. They were originally in a 75 gallon, but upgraded to a 125 a little over a year ago. I do think the key is several feedings a day and lots of places to hide for the "subservient" ones. They were a little puny when they came in. I quarantined in a 10 gallon tank and got them to start eating well on newly hatched brine shrimp, then weaned them off of that and onto pellets. I now feed those pellets 4 times a day (auto feeder). I feed a mix of the the Hikari Seaweed Extreme (small pellets), Hikari Marine S, and Piscine Energetics PE Pellets (1 mm). I also get them a variety of frozen foods several times a week. They also snack on the occasional nori I put in for the tang. They have even spawned on the nori! Once the dominant one passes I will probably order a larger group next time... a dozen or so would be awesome!
That’s encouraging. Do they school togethe? How many did you start with?

Phi79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start with 12 now I’m down to 3. They slowly dying off one by one.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope they're the same.

I thought that i could bypass that too, but they pretty much end up killing one another until there's only a few left.

I started with 25 blue reef chromis and ended up with 3. Then, I started over with 40 blue green chromis and ended up with 6. They're pretty peaceful at 1-1.5", but nasty to each other beyond that size.

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s encouraging. Do they school togethe? How many did you start with?
Seems like I got 7 or 8 originally. One died right away and the other 2 or 3 died out over the next few months. But, the 4 that remained have been going strong for a few years now. They rarely school together (occasionally). Most the time the dominant one is out and about and the other 3 dart in and out of the rockwork.

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried several times last time i started with 10 and have only 2 left

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 42 gallon hex tank. I have had it for almost 3 years now. I started with three, but was down to one in a little over a year. It is not what I call a peacefull fish. It does not like any other fish being introduced into the tank. I do have 4 various other fish that have been in there for various lenghts of time. They all seem to tolerate each other now. As stated eariler if you want them get just one.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept both blue green and blue reef chromis. My tank is approximately 80 gallons and full of branching SPS corals.

Based on my experience, the number of blue green chromis that you can successfully keep is directly proportional to the size of the tank. I have started with 12 to 15 chromis multiple times. Within a year, I always end up with 4 healthy large chromis no matter how much I feed them. The 4 I have now spawn regularly.

On the other hand, I have tried to keep blue reef chromis multiple times. They are one of my favorite fish. I have never been able to keep them for more than a month. They start amazing, develop a sore and die.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only success with the Blue Reef Chromis is in breaking my previous record for losing a marine fish species. I bought two at my LFS, they looked healthy, swimming around but I did not request them to be fed at the shop. Brought them home, placed them in QT after a 5 minute alkaline-buffered FW dip. In 30 hours the first chromis perished. In another 48 hours the second one followed suit. I've been keeping freshwater fish for over 50 years, and salt tanks for over 5, so I know something about aquatics. All I can say is that the BRC is NOT an easy fish to keep -- the online retailers have it wrong. This fish will first break your budget then it will break your heart. It was one of the most beautiful dead things that I have ever seen.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought five for my 210. Two turned up missing about one week in after a weekend out of town. The other three have been great for 4-5 months now. Super aggressive eaters. They even eat nori. Mine do tend to hang out together, but often split up. Wouldn’t call it schooling.

f0bf5093ee08075298bba9d22b8ae0a6.jpg

c775ec859bc73c1fd3c4e895659695a6.jpg

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue reef has suddenly become an aggressive fish. Chases my anthias and wrasses all day. He even nips at some larger angels. I’m ready to re-home it.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 5 blue-green chromis for my 70g AIO. Thinking a few would perish but I ended up giving 2 away. Still have 3 8 months later. I do feed everyday

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back