Anyone having issues establishing pods with a uv?

natew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To sum it up 300 gallons tanks been up over a year everythings going good fish coral nems all happy growing. But i have bought pods from algaebarn,podyoreef and others and turned pumps and uv off for hour or 2 after feeding and emptied 6 bottles each time 4 in display 2 in sump . Still no pods. Did phyto every 3 days a ounces. Just wondering if my uv is killing them all off i wouldnt think so

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wondered if in a large tank like yours there'd be enough that missed the UV for it to not have an impact. Also heard that uv won't affect anything as large as a pod so... Idk. Lol sorry didn't add much

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My way of checking for pods is dosing sodium silicate to fuel a diatom bloom. Once diatoms are on the glass, the pods will be there if they exist.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV we use in the hobby is not strong enough or have enough dwell time for it to effect pod populations.

You do realize most pods cannot be seen with the naked eye? Only the larger adults, and amphipods can be seen scurrying about in the tank.

I never see a pod in my tank, but I have many wrasses, and 2 fat mandarins. I also wash amphipods out of my socks. So I know they are in there, just cannot see them.

OP
OP
N

natew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wondered if in a large tank like yours there'd be enough that missed the UV for it to not have an impact. Also heard that uv won't affect anything as large as a pod so... Idk. Lol sorry didn't

The UV we use in the hobby is not strong enough or have enough dwell time for it to effect pod populations.

You do realize most pods cannot be seen with the naked eye? Only the larger adults, and amphipods can be seen scurrying about in the tank.

I never see a pod in my tank, but I have many wrasses, and 2 fat mandarins. I also wash amphipods out of my socks. So I know they are in there, just cannot see them.
I do realize that but just my last few tanks before i moved i could see them on glass and on rocks so i assumed i would be able to atleast see a few this time around

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To sum it up 300 gallons tanks been up over a year everythings going good fish coral nems all happy growing. But i have bought pods from algaebarn,podyoreef and others and turned pumps and uv off for hour or 2 after feeding and emptied 6 bottles each time 4 in display 2 in sump . Still no pods. Did phyto every 3 days a ounces. Just wondering if my uv is killing them all off i wouldnt think so
UV won't effect your copepod population at all I run UV on my systems. Majority of your consumer grade pods are non pelagic so they won't have a chance to make it into your UV system . Also you would need to be running it at a extremely low rate of flow for it to have any effect on them . You have a very large system and I'm willing to bet they are all in your rock work and substrate. Let your glass get dirty and see what comes up to feed on it . I would also continue the phytoplankton dosing .

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150 system with a 55W 24/7 …

I rarely see a pod but with all the wrasses and mandarin that’s expected. If I pick up a rock or frag off the sand the fish dive bomb the vacated spot, presumably to feast.

I did have a sizable macro refugium up until recently, switched to ATS. Can’t say if it’s had an effect on the population but I think not.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Do you know what intensity will kill pods? I have a 120 watt UV running ~700 gph through. It's more than the 180,000 µW/cm2 needed to kill parasites but I forget the exact amount.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back