Anyone heard of The filter guys

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a guy who is breaking down a tank and has a 5 stage rodi unit for the filter guys. I have a rodi unit but was thinking of getting a new one cause it’s trash but seems these guys are out of business or something. He’s selling for $75 and said just the DI needs to be replaced. Worth it or no?

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought from them for a decade and have a TDS meter on my RO/DI. Always got a perfect 0 reading with their products. I wouldn't hesitate.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, a 10" canister is a 10" canister regardless of who "made" it. It's what's on the inside that counts. $75 is a good deal, but I'd go ahead and replace all of the innards just so I know exactly how old they are. Will it add a couple dollars to the purchase price? Sure, but not really all that much.

FWIW - my go to for all my rodi needs is Russ and the folks at www.buckeyehydro.com . Great prices and service that cannot be beat.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all the same.
I have a 5-stage from them I got YEARS ago, and a BRS 5 stage and they are almost identical.

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting it. Just got a few questions. Not sure exactly if I’m doing this right. I used to have a simple one but this one is a bit more complex. So with my old one the waste water was way more than what it produced. This one is the opposite. Is there something wrong. Here a pic of the comparison. Black is waste and blue is the good water. There’s a valve on the top but I turn it on and off and it does nothing. Not sure what to do here
1967688E-3E70-42DA-B9AA-0951DD2FDA2A.jpeg
AF177745-E15C-4563-8341-A5616139DBAA.jpeg

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your previous unit have a flow restrictor on the RO output? The picture shows what appears to be one on the new unit. Perhaps it is old and clogged. In general the recommendation is to change the restrictor when you change the filters.

Flow Restrictors

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be a flow restrictor it might be an auto flush.
Good water is always less than waste. Something is not functioning correctly

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it could be. What should I try and do
My advice honestly is to watch a video on brs regarding setting up and using the ro unit even though it isn't the same unit. . Most will be applicable and it may explain the flush feature. Mine has a similar valve on top that is for flushing the water that sits in the unit between uses.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The valve is a bypass so you can flush the membrane before using after unit has been shut off a while.
It should be closed to "make water". When open all water passes over the membrane to drain.
The "square box" is an auto shut off so the unit stops when pressure is put on the "good water" line from a float valve . Your flow restrictor is inside the drain line right next to the membrane housing and is specific to the flow rate of the membrane.

Back