Anyone keep Mysid or feeder shrimp in your refugiums or tanks?

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got amphipods which are reproducing. I've wondered about the concept of running a phytoplankton culture and copepod culture along the back of my tank hood where the phytoplankton would feed the copepods and then overflow into the tank when fresh saltwater is added to the phytoplankton.

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bloom of them in my old system after introducing some fresh live rock. They eat copepods and Naupili as well as each other so if you can supply that... I remember Justin Credible talking about the Flamboyant cuttlefish breeding and saying part of the high price of the cuttlefish was the cost of buying all the mysid shrimp.

OP
OP
L

LeslieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a brine shrimp hatchery going, but my mandarin doesn't seem to be interested in them so I thought I'd try something else. I never even see him hunting for pods, he just sits there and eats what happens to crawl by.

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe look up white worms for your fish. I've seen posts by a reefer Paul B who swears by them. Says they're relatively easy to raise.

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a scooter blenny in my tank I used to use a piece of 1in PVC pipe that was attached to an inverted piece of Tupperware. I could send Frozen mysis down the tube and the Tupperware was just enough off the sand so that the blenny could get under it but the other fish couldn't. it created a spot where the myisis could sit for a while until the scooter could eat it. I had it tucked in the back corner of the tank. It worked well until the Hawk Fish and hermit crab figured out the story.

OP
OP
L

LeslieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea - I was going to try to rig something up to try to deliver the brine right to where the mandarin is hanging out.

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CCA5CF69-1A6D-47E2-BCE3-5C0409CFF862.jpeg

This company carried mysis and most likely will be at KOR in May. Local enough also I believe you can contact for pickup. $10 for a 16oz bottle full.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have grass shrimp (salt water/brackish ghost shrimp) in my tank and while they copulate, I've never seen the free floating larvae, only the berried females. It's been about 4+ months now so, I don't think they can reproduce without a more conducive environment for the larvae (slower flow, more plankton).

OP
OP
L

LeslieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CCA5CF69-1A6D-47E2-BCE3-5C0409CFF862.jpeg

This company carried mysis and most likely will be at KOR in May. Local enough also I believe you can contact for pickup. $10 for a 16oz bottle full.
Thanks - I'll look into them. I was also checking out Aquaculture Nursery Farms (RUSALTY); they seem to have a good variety of live foods.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back