Anyone kept a freshwater African Cichlid/brackish tank?

BRS

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry I really don't know where to post this. If you mods don't mind please move it the right place.

So I was wondering if anyone here has an African cichlids/brackish setup? I heard from the freshwater folks that they are very fun, even more fun than reef, especially when it comes to the fish's behaviors. So if you've had both, what's exactly fun about them? And would you say they are more interesting than Reef?

Last edited:

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry I really don't know where to post this. If you mods don't mind please move it the right place.

So I was wondering if anyone here has an African cichlids/brackish setup? I heard from the freshwater folks that they are very fun, even more fun than reef, especially when it comes to the fish's behaviors. So if you've had both, I wonder what you think.
I don't keep african cichlid tanks, or rather, 'african cichlid-only' tanks as I tend to keep american cichlids and do toss african cichlids into those tanks every once in a while. Regardless, yes they are a lot of fun, a lot of activity from cichlids. I have seen quite a few african cichlid tanks and yeah, they are fun. Especially species-only tanks actually. You get to see a lot more behaviour that may be unique to those species.

tbrown3589

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a small reef tank and an African Cichlid tank. I've kept a 30 gallon brackish tank previously.
I have had a 125 African Cichlid tank and there was always lots of movement. One thing to consider is that you pretty much need a male only tank or lots of females to keep the aggression under control.
My brackish tank never really did good and only lasted about a year before I replaced it with a bearded dragon.

dennis romano

View Badges
Reaction score
I had African cichlids for many years. They are very colorful, active and pretty much bullet proof. They are also very easily bred. You can choose from rock dwellers, open water fish, peacocks or big predators.

BRS

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 106 31.7%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 48 14.4%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 94 28.1%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 46 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 3.9%

Reef Breeders