Anyone knew if these Palys are toxic ones?

Ryan9212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, when I first put these in my tank a couple broke off and landed on a larger rock, took hold and they grow super fast... The ones in the pic are on a separate rock (not the one in the pic) which isn't an issue but I want to remove the ones on the larger rock before they spread too much. There are also other corals on this rock. The ones I need to remove are the turquoise looking palys towards the middle of the image

I know some palys are very toxic which is why I wanted to post these before I go and remove them. Based on whether or not these are really toxic what would be the best/safest way to remove them? It would be way easier for me to just use some type of aiptasia remover on them without having to take the rock out.

Also are there any other in the picture I should be worried about in case I remove them? I know most people don't worry but I've heard those horror stories. I figured its better to ask before hand :)

Thanks a lot!

96977.jpg

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those do look like they could have palytoxin in them. If you decide to move the rock out make sure you use some sort of eyewear protection Just in case. Also make sure you wash your hands after handling the rock just in case you got some palytoxin fluid on your hand.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely better to just assume they're all potentially toxic. The large green ones in the back left most likely are toxic. I've had luck with Aiptasia-X, you just have to hit the more persistent ones a few times if they reopen.

The rest, I doubt anyone could say just from a photo. They can be removed safely with some precautions.
-Don't do this with any open cuts on your hands or arms.
-Put the rock in a bucket of old tank water and take it outside in the shade. Palytoxin breaks down in a couple of hours in salt water.
-Wear elbow high gloves, safety goggles and a paper mask to stop squirts and splashes from getting in your mouth or eyes
-while the rock is in the water if possible, scrape them off the rock with a razor or knife
-Don't aggressively hose, heat (no hot water!) or do anything else that can render the mucus or coral guts aerosol. This includes later on when cleaning the bucket and tools.
-put the rock back in the tank (still with gloves)
-kill the polyps in the bucket with a cup or two of bleach. Bleach neutralizes palytoxin quickly.
-dispose of the old water and polyps down a convenient drain someplace

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All are toxic to some extent. I think that you are thinking of a particular one from Hawaii that’s very high in toxicity? I don’t think it’s easy to even get these.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree all zoa and paly contain poly toxins. To what extent is a question. If you are really that concerned I'm sure there is a way to test. I treat all zoa and poly like they contain very nasty toxin.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach brakes down the toxin.

OP
OP
R

Ryan9212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input and I apologize for the delay. I did do some research and they do seem like a more toxic variety but could be wrong.

Would it be possible to kill the ones attached to the rock in the tank or would I be asking for trouble? Of course they are on one of the most inconvenient rocks to remove with other corals attached but if I have to I can see what I can do.

I do have a hollywood stunner chalice which has some long sweepers so I was wondering if I could simply put it right next to the zoas to see if it will take them out this way? I won't have to get my hands in there this way but I just don't know if the toxin will harm other corals/fish if it does get released?

Thanks again for the help! Leaving those couple palys on that rock was a mistake I will never make again

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input and I apologize for the delay. I did do some research and they do seem like a more toxic variety but could be wrong.

Would it be possible to kill the ones attached to the rock in the tank or would I be asking for trouble? Of course they are on one of the most inconvenient rocks to remove with other corals attached but if I have to I can see what I can do.

I do have a hollywood stunner chalice which has some long sweepers so I was wondering if I could simply put it right next to the zoas to see if it will take them out this way? I won't have to get my hands in there this way but I just don't know if the toxin will harm other corals/fish if it does get released?

Thanks again for the help! Leaving those couple palys on that rock was a mistake I will never make again

You could probably cover them in putty. Ideally you would remove from tank and chisel them off safely ( eye protection, face, etc)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are a toxic kind, I had a bunch on a rock, put on some gloves/goggles/mask and take the rock out and pull them off with a tweezers. I would triple bag them and put them out in the trash, don't want to expose your garbage man.

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are toxic Palys/Zoas ususally the ones that looks bad? Or, are they more toxic the more colorful they are? Kind of kills my appetite wanting to keep very colorful Zoas, or any type of Palys/Zoas. ;Meh

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these are toxic. I peeled some off the back glass. And then rearranged some rock. I ran a fever of 103 that night.

2019-08-15_07-19-22.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ryan9212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atleast those look a lot nicer than mine :) Yours def look like they are "stiff". Glad it didn't get any worse than a fever.

Just an update: I turned my skimmer off and loaded in the carbon and put kalk paste on a couple...no issues so I did the rest and there are a couple left. I kept my skimmer off the entire time just incase since some of the water coming out with bubbles has to vaporize. I think the cleaner shrimp and crabs pick the dead stuff off the rock.

No issues what-so-ever but I was extra cautious...just a couple more and will never make this mistake again.

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these are toxic. I peeled some off the back glass. And then rearranged some rock. I ran a fever of 103 that night.

2019-08-15_07-19-22.jpg

This stuff looks really good. I always wanted something that has bright and multi colored. Never had much luck in keeping bottom corals alive more than 6 months except for one batch I have below, which I think they are really ugly since the better looking ones from the same rock did really early on. Are these thing bad? I am still trying to find out.

IMG_1640.JPG

OP
OP
R

Ryan9212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff looks really good. I always wanted something that has bright and multi colored. Never had much luck in keeping bottom corals alive more than 6 months except for one batch I have below, which I think they are really ugly since the better looking ones from the same rock did really early on. Are these thing bad? I am still trying to find out.

IMG_1640.JPG
Those don’t look like the real toxic ones but I could be wrong. One thing I noticed is the toxic ones usually have a “grainy” look to them.

That being said you might be better off putting them in a rock in the sand so they can’t spread everywhere. And obviously take all precautions if attempting to remove them.

That being said I really think we should have a sticky thread of the palys people have had negative experiences with. I think this will help everyone. I know palytoxin seems to be overly hyped but there are definitely people out there who’ve had unpleasant symptoms after touching/removing them.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2019-08-15_07-19-22.jpg
The grandis are that bad huh. Well those are in my tank. Thanks for the heads up.

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those don’t look like the real toxic ones but I could be wrong. One thing I noticed is the toxic ones usually have a “grainy” look to them.

That being said you might be better off putting them in a rock in the sand so they can’t spread everywhere. And obviously take all precautions if attempting to remove them.

That being said I really think we should have a sticky thread of the palys people have had negative experiences with. I think this will help everyone. I know palytoxin seems to be overly hyped but there are definitely people out there who’ve had unpleasant symptoms after touching/removing them.

Thanks for the comment. I will take that rock and put it on top of sand instead of sitting on my other rocks. I tried to start a thread on that already and no response at all. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/identifying-photos-of-dangerous-toxic-corals.639701/#post-6385982

Maybe it's mislabeled. I was trying to get contribution of photos of corals and a narative in general where people have had bad health experience with.

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atleast those look a lot nicer than mine :) Yours def look like they are "stiff". Glad it didn't get any worse than a fever.

Just an update: I turned my skimmer off and loaded in the carbon and put kalk paste on a couple...no issues so I did the rest and there are a couple left. I kept my skimmer off the entire time just in case since some of the water coming out with bubbles has to vaporize. I think the cleaner shrimp and crabs pick the dead stuff off the rock.

No issues what-so-ever but I was extra cautious...just a couple more and will never make this mistake again.

Can you elaborate on looking "Stiff"? I ounce bought a colony of zoa/paly button coral that looks stiff. No longer have them but as I remember they were very leathery looking and every polyp is attached to the other. The whole colony was on big interconnected piece. I don't have a picture of them. The were green. Or maybe that's totally something else?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back