Anyone know how to make the Radion G5 blue look good?

reefslugs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon (48''x24''x24) with two XR30 G5 blues. I hate the look of the AB+ settings. It looks like my tank is full of Windex. I have tried the other setting already programmed in the lights. I really can not stand either. I even down loaded WWC's templates and they are way too dark blue and makes the tank look dark. I'm starting to think I bought the wrong Radion. Maybe I should have bought the Pro's. If anyone has found setting combination that make the lights look good. Please share.

jnhphoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the phx 14 template at 37% on a water box 130 reef. not the AB+ I also have 2 reefbrites on each. I think it looks good. My tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 132

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got the diffuser on? Looks clearer without, if the disco affect is not noticeable to you.

I would just turn up the whites, more whites is not doing to do your tank any harm, you went for the blues so they will be setup to look more blue, the pros grow coral just a good yet they are not as blue so the AB+ settings are not set in stone.

Saltinmyblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon (48''x24''x24) with two XR30 G5 blues. I hate the look of the AB+ settings. It looks like my tank is full of Windex. I have tried the other setting already programmed in the lights. I really can not stand either. I even down loaded WWC's templates and they are way too dark blue and makes the tank look dark. I'm starting to think I bought the wrong Radion. Maybe I should have bought the Pro's. If anyone has found setting combination that make the lights look good. Please share.
Check for updates on the Mobius app once mine updated it seems a lot better and more white in the Spectrum

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pick a template and then go in and modify. Raise the warm and/or cold blue with light until it meets your liking. I took the AB+ and added more cool/warm white and added a moonlighting period as well.

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Point of the AB+ setting is to grow corals, not to be pleasing to the eye. I used to find it way too lbue but have gotten used to it, it's trying to emulate the spectrum from the AI "Blue Plus" T5 bulbs which are proven coral growers. I agree the light should be pleasing to the eye as well but its primary function is growing SPS.

d0gFartz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when you figure it out. I have the pro and its not better. I had AI prime 16 HD on a waterbox using there AI mixed reef setting and things looked great. Bought a redsea 170 and a G5 Pro Blue and lost corals. Used the AB+, WWC blue and another i dont remember. Used them at i believe 40% (what ever was std on the schedule) . Im on the LPS/Soft now and my orange psammocora coral seems to be doing better but I had lost a really nice green one

sean151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when you figure it out. I have the pro and its not better. I had AI prime 16 HD on a waterbox using there AI mixed reef setting and things looked great. Bought a redsea 170 and a G5 Pro Blue and lost corals. Used the AB+, WWC blue and another i dont remember. Used them at i believe 40% (what ever was std on the schedule) . Im on the LPS/Soft now and my orange psammocora coral seems to be doing better but I had lost a really nice green one
Did you verify PAR values were similar? Light spread between those 2 lights are going to be pretty different and the spectrum difference will only add to the impossibility of doing it by eye.

OP
OP
R

reefslugs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got the diffuser on? Looks clearer without, if the disco affect is not noticeable to you.

I would just turn up the whites, more whites is not doing to do your tank any harm, you went for the blues so they will be setup to look more blue, the pros grow coral just a good yet they are not as blue so the AB+ settings are not set in stone.
I do not have diffusers on them. There is only one white channel and it is at 100%

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you verify PAR values were similar? Light spread between those 2 lights are going to be pretty different and the spectrum difference will only add to the impossibility of doing it by eye.
Agreed. making that switch without acclimation and or a par meter is super risky!!!!
Can't help with the spectrum, that's a personal preference and without a par meter it will be hard to use a custom settings.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Point of the AB+ setting is to grow corals, not to be pleasing to the eye. I used to find it way too lbue but have gotten used to it, it's trying to emulate the spectrum from the AI "Blue Plus" T5 bulbs which are proven coral growers. I agree the light should be pleasing to the eye as well but its primary function is growing SPS.
Keep in mind AB+ setting is just marketing gimmicks. At one point in time this setting may have existed (on a singular model fixture), but not anymore.

Also, have you read the “study” “white-paper”? It gives no data whatsoever.

“but they have coral lab in the name…” (lol)

The blue and pro both have settings called AB+ that look completely different. Jump generations and you have 4+ AB+ settings that look completely different. Not to mention, other manufacturers now have an AB+ setting that, you guessed it, looks completely different.

Tanked_Timmy77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the cyan color off completely and it look way better and I feel my sps look better

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was exactly the reason why I sold my 4 G5 Blue and bought 4 G5 Pro instead. In my opinion, the blue one is absolutely not useful for the serious SPS attitude .. Far too few adjustment options for the LEDs

they can be used for mixed or LPS tanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back