Anyone know if I can use this around the tank?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I’m coming to you guys with a huge problem. Last week we had someone stay over for the week and everything was good until it wasn’t, after they left I went to do the guest room sheets and noticed a bed bug in the bed where the guest stayed. I quickly took off all sheets and washed them, I also have a professional steamer and steamed as well. Well this week they’re back and they’re multiplying!
I wonder if I’m able to use a powder I keep reading up about the powder attracting them and then suffocating them to death.
They’ve now located in the room where the tank is and I’m wondering if I can spray some of this powder in the same room as the tank but not directly anywhere around it, just a couple of feet away so I can get rid of this nightmare once and for all.

Thanks in advance!

Rockwell Labs CXID032 CimeXa Dust Insecticide, White

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still be very cautious with it. But it Is a powder so you can direct it exactly where you want it. I had a big flea infestation that I was able to conquer using powders.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the powder you are referring to is diatomaceous earth. I have seen it used for insect control, it basically suffocates them. That is safe for aquariums I believe, because the powder is not airborne. You just spread the powder where the bugs are and will kill them without chemicals.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I’m coming to you guys with a huge problem. Last week we had someone stay over for the week and everything was good until it wasn’t, after they left I went to do the guest room sheets and noticed a bed bug in the bed where the guest stayed. I quickly took off all sheets and washed them, I also have a professional steamer and steamed as well. Well this week they’re back and they’re multiplying!
I wonder if I’m able to use a powder I keep reading up about the powder attracting them and then suffocating them to death.
They’ve now located in the room where the tank is and I’m wondering if I can spray some of this powder in the same room as the tank but not directly anywhere around it, just a couple of feet away so I can get rid of this nightmare once and for all.

Thanks in advance!

Rockwell Labs CXID032 CimeXa Dust Insecticide, White

Your best treatment is calling a professional. They live in every crqck and crevices not just the bed. They love to be within 8 ft of a host aka a human. Curtains, dressers , baseboards, bed frame/headboard, outlet covers, closets just to name a few places.

Out of all the pests I deal with these are the hardest to treat.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best treatment is calling a professional. They live in every crqck and crevices not just the bed. They love to be within 8 ft of a host aka a human. Curtains, dressers , baseboards, bed frame/headboard, outlet covers, closets just to name a few places.

Out of all the pests I deal with these are the hardest to treat.
Well I would so do that but I live in an apartment building so I know they’re now all over. I am moving in a couple of months so I was just looking for advice on the powder to see if that would give me some sort of relief until we moved away.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although a powder it could of gottten airborn so I would lean to a yes it could be your issue.

Any type of bug powder or spray can cause a problems from what I learned this Spring. Had an bug buy come and when he got to the fish room he stopped in his tracks and said... "I'm not going to spray in here. This stuff will float around in the air. It kills bugs and is not good around aquariums. We never spray around a tank or in any room with one."
Also seen in other treads that sprays like windex, air fresheners, etc. should be kept away from tanks especialy if its an open top. Even with a glass top like I have there are no sprays in the fish room!

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although a powder it could of gottten airborn so I would lean to a yes it could be your issue.

Any type of bug powder or spray can cause a problems from what I learned this Spring. Had an bug buy come and when he got to the fish room he stopped in his tracks and said... "I'm not going to spray in here. This stuff will float around in the air. It kills bugs and is not good around aquariums. We never spray around a tank or in any room with one."
Also seen in other treads that sprays like windex, air fresheners, etc. should be kept away from tanks especialy if its an open top. Even with a glass top like I have there are no sprays in the fish room!
Yeah I have a rule of no spraying anything in the tank room ever, I was just going to put it onto the couch we had in there and also the carpet in that room. Somewhere around the corners as well

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the powder you are referring to is diatomaceous earth. I have seen it used for insect control, it basically suffocates them. That is safe for aquariums I believe, because the powder is not airborne. You just spread the powder where the bugs are and will kill them without chemicals.
Thats not correct. It is sharp and Jagged it cuts cuticle prevent the insect from retaining water. Also when the insect grooms itself they injust it and it cuts up the inside of them as well.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna contradict myself. i Just looked at this some more. It is made of 100% silica dust. Some really nasty stuff to breath in if it gets airborne. Exposure can cause silicosis.
Not sure how much is needed but it definitely sways my opinion towards no. Probably wouldn't harm the fish or coral.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a rule of no spraying anything in the tank room ever, I was just going to put it onto the couch we had in there and also the carpet in that room. Somewhere around the corners as well
It only works if if the insect crosses it and until it absorbs moisture.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna contradict myself. i Just looked at this some more. It is made of 100% silica dust. Some really nasty stuff to breath in if it gets airborne. Exposure can cause silicosis.
Not sure how much is needed but it definitely sways my opinion towards no. Probably wouldn't harm the fish or coral.
We use it in aquarium to produce 1 micron filters. Same stuff used in pool filters.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would so do that but I live in an apartment building so I know they’re now all over. I am moving in a couple of months so I was just looking for advice on the powder to see if that would give me some sort of relief until we moved away.
If they aren't delt with before you move you will take them with you

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they aren't delt with before you move you will take them with you
I’m going to leave behind all of the furniture and just get new one. Only things were taking is electronics and clothes and I’ll make sure we steam and wash them before moving away.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a fungus that cab be used

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bug guy sprays the house every couple months. He does avoid the fish room and around the main tank and plumbing.
Honestly, call a professional. At least to get advice.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bug guy sprays the house every couple months. He does avoid the fish room and around the main tank and plumbing.
Honestly, call a professional. At least to get advice.
Unfortunately this won't do anything for bed bugs

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back