Anyone know of sexing or pairing Kamohara Fang Blennies?

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to have a breeding pair of these fish, but can find absolutely no information on how to do so. Are they hermaphroditic like clownfish? Best way to introduce them to each other?

Thank you so much!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could buy 6 or so, and keep reducing the population (i.e. sell it back to the LFS) once a fish gets singled out, or take the pair out once it forms.

I did this with firefish, I now have a pair/trio (unsure what that third fish is doing) in a 29 gallon.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this with firefish, I now have a pair/trio (unsure what that third fish is doing) in a 29 gallon.

They’re all just living their best life, not confirming to the patriarchal ideas of relationships. ;-)

Half the time I think my wife wishes there was another lady I could focus my... attention... on.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try sending ORA a message on facebook, they seem to respond fairly quickly on there and ask them
If you decide to do this OP, it might be worth asking for the smallest fish post metamorphosis, and buying two of those. This is assuming they’re hermaphroditic. if they’re gonochoristic....there’s still the option to buy 6

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1243.JPG

they're awesome little fish! good luck with your pair

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1243.JPG

they're awesome little fish! good luck with your pair
Didn’t know you had a pair I am WELL jealous now. Unfortunately being a uni student who’s now unemployed thanks to COVID I don’t think I have the funds to purchase 6 at the moment! I’d also feel kinda bad returning 4 to the local fish shop :(
Guess I’ll stick to the pair of orchid dottybacks at the moment haha

is there much interaction between them that makes them an interesting pair or do they just chill together for the most part?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know you had a pair I am WELL jealous now. Unfortunately being a uni student who’s now unemployed thanks to COVID I don’t think I have the funds to purchase 6 at the moment! I’d also feel kinda bad returning 4 to the local fish shop :(

is there much interaction between them that makes them an interesting pair or do they just chill together for the most part?
I feel you on that....I had to tear down a tank of cherry shrimp to get my trio of firefish. If you have a good rep with the LFS, you might be able to do a thing where you return the four non-paired fish....or a pair of fish, which honestly, is a higher value than just two unpaired fish in my opinion.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shrug, i just bought two from ORA lol

they mostly just chill together, but i've only had them a few months. one came in kinda larger and the other smaller. i've never seen aggression from them toward each other or any other fish

how'd pairing your orchids go? i have a single orchid and was thinking of getting him an electric indigo girlfriend

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back