Anyone know someone who can cut glass holes in the NYC/ Long island area?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking to get a hole cut for my 20 gallon high aqueon and ik my shaky hands will mess it up. Please let me know if you know anyone or even if you yourself know how to cut a glass hole well, i need some help.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
you can - it's not complicated, just google some videos on the topic.

If not, most privately owned LFS will do it for a fee.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have tried before but everyone said no, this was a couple of years ago so maybe someone can help me out in a glass shop now but who knows.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone experienced and want to do one for a free peach frogspawn frag? I have way too many

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i literally have an infestation of them lol, i should say i really have many mother colonies to give away at this point

20220506_170130.jpg

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking to get a hole cut for my 20 gallon high aqueon and ik my shaky hands will mess it up. Please let me know if you know anyone or even if you yourself know how to cut a glass hole well, i need some help.

Do it yourself. It's very easy.

I know you are scared, I was scared for 12 years. But about a month or so ago, I took the plunge and drilled 3 holes in my 24g all-in-one cube after removing all the back chambers.

After doing it, I feel silly for being so scared all these years.

You can make a template and clamp it down if you are really worried about shaking etc. I did for my first one, after that I would just clamp down something I could rest it up against until the hole started.

There are multiple videos on youtube for it. I watched a couple of them and found them helpful/reassuring.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang well i guess that may be my only option, thanks for the encouragement

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Do it yourself. It's very easy.

I know you are scared, I was scared for 12 years. But about a month or so ago, I took the plunge and drilled 3 holes in my 24g all-in-one cube after removing all the back chambers.

After doing it, I feel silly for being so scared all these years.

You can make a template and clamp it down if you are really worried about shaking etc. I did for my first one, after that I would just clamp down something I could rest it up against until the hole started.

There are multiple videos on youtube for it. I watched a couple of them and found them helpful/reassuring.

Spot on. I too used to pay to have holes drilled until I needed to drill 9 of them and I said heck no I'm not paying that much.

Got this, have drilled probably 2 dozen holes since then. Not a single failure.

Have water, drill without too much pressure and let the bit do its thing. Make sure you tape underneath with duct tape or clamp a piece of plywood.

Not hard.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
back when i was in NY Total Aquariums in Lynbrook drilled the 36 i bought from them...i believe they've closed their retail location on Sunrise Highway but they're still listed as doing maintainance and custom tank setups....i've since drilled my own down here...

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
back when i was in NY Total Aquariums in Lynbrook drilled the 36 i bought from them...i believe they've closed their retail location on Sunrise Highway but they're still listed as doing maintainance and custom tank setups....i've since drilled my own down here...
would you drill a tank in westbury for me, i can drive down to the south shore if needed and i can pay, or i have some frags i can do as a trade if your nearby,
free beer while we work as well if ur up to it :)

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh still nervous but more surprised that no one wants to do it for free beer and frags though, i find that more hilarious. I think its a pretty good deal lol

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright i will throw in some pina coladas but that is my final offer, hahhahah

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang well i guess i just ordered the diamond drill bit so wish me luck

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry...no longer live in NY...moved to NC years ago...thats what i meant by down here...does Aquarium Village in Westbury still exist or is that long gone too? i used a piece of scrap plywood and cut the same size hole in it with a regular hole saw....then used Quick Grip style clamps to clamp it to the tank and kept the hole full of water...tape on the inside so the piece wouldnt go flying...virtually no pressure on the drill and keep it straight...you dont want it to crack out as it breaks through or the inside edge of the hole will be jagged ....if i do another i think i'd put a second piece of plywood inside with a hole in it and drill the last bit from the other side to get a smoother edge to the hole...i smoothed the rough edge with sandpaperand the bulkhead gasket covered it but it definitely could have looked better

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back