Anyone know what species of seahorse this is?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the LFS in my area just got seahorses in we never get them in this province. Ive even seen other LFS's order list many times and never seen any species for sale. Now that I know this store can order seahorses I want to set up a species specific set up with seagrasses and macro, but I'm not sure what species they're getting in and I'd like to know ahead of time so I can get set the system up/cycled at whatever temp this species needs.

IMG_20220225_073344.jpg

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm terrible at this game but I'd say it looks like Erectus.

I'm in the process of setting up a seahorse tank now. If planning to pick some up, I'd suggest making sure they are eating frozen mysis. If they are erectus and not eating frozen, you will have to feed them live food. If they are some other species, you might have to feed them live food regardless. Good luck!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the LFS in my area just got seahorses in we never get them in this province. Ive even seen other LFS's order list many times and never seen any species for sale. Now that I know this store can order seahorses I want to set up a species specific set up with seagrasses and macro, but I'm not sure what species they're getting in and I'd like to know ahead of time so I can get set the system up/cycled at whatever temp this species needs.

IMG_20220225_073344.jpg

It does look like a lined seahorse, H. erectus. They range widely, and IMO, there are at least two distinct forms or subspecies. This seems to be the Southern one. I'd keep them at 75 F. And as noted, they do best if they are tank raised and feeding on frozen foods.

jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back