Anyone know what type of clownfish this is?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cocowizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello r2r fam I'm curious to know what type of clownfish this is and why my other two clowns I purchased passed. I started with this one and a male about half the size so 3/4ths of an inch or so and it died after a week and a half. So I picked up an ocelaris clown that was the same size as my current clown 1.25 inches and it only lasted 5 days I noticed the second one has some hard to see white spots on it only one or 2 spots I would say. How badly do they need a place to sleep? My current clownfish has been doing great for the past 3 weeks with no issues should I just not add another one and have one clown? 10 gal reef tank full of softies
1536193762525.jpeg

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's definitely not an ocellaris clown and you should not mix clown species at all unless you have a very large tank from what I've seen. The reason it only lasted 5 days is most likely because there was constant aggression

OP
OP
cocowizzz

cocowizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's definitely not an ocellaris clown and you should not mix clown species at all unless you have a very large tank from what I've seen. The reason it only lasted 5 days is most likely because there was constant aggression
I didnt see any agression. No nipping or anything like that just happily swimming togeather and sleeping it seemed like. I picked him up from petco I thought I saw a few small spots on it the first day or two but nothing after. And good to know the species LFS store said it was an ocellaris.

OP
OP
cocowizzz

cocowizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clownfish is a juvenile Red Sea Clownfish (A. Bicinctus). My pair are almost 5 yrs. old now and they turned very dark brown, almost black.
It has a spot behind its first band is that common?

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the temperament of them? Are they super mean like a tomato or maroon. Was looking for something other than ocellaris but on the same behavior aspect

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the temperament of them? Are they super mean like a tomato or maroon. Was looking for something other than ocellaris but on the same behavior aspect

My Red Sea Clowns are not at all aggressive. They have been model citizens. They do chase the other fish away from their eggs, but that's to be expected. They have never killed a tank mate or even harassed the others.

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome and good to hear... they are officially on the list for next.

To the OP.. as mentioned 1 is probably best for tank size and if you choose to add another focus on same species. There is a decent Petco by me that i have dare with success. Best to QT everything

zoaplug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello r2r fam I'm curious to know what type of clownfish this is and why my other two clowns I purchased passed. I started with this one and a male about half the size so 3/4ths of an inch or so and it died after a week and a half. So I picked up an ocelaris clown that was the same size as my current clown 1.25 inches and it only lasted 5 days I noticed the second one has some hard to see white spots on it only one or 2 spots I would say. How badly do they need a place to sleep? My current clownfish has been doing great for the past 3 weeks with no issues should I just not add another one and have one clown? 10 gal reef tank full of softies
1536193762525.jpeg
Red Sea two band clown part of the Pomacentridae family

Back