Anyone light their refugium from the side? Like a reactor?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice many who run refuges have a light illuminating from the top. I currently do the same with a cheap Home Depot grow bulb.

I'm rebuilding my 20 gallon high sump and am going to have a deep refuge area first in line, it will be 10 " deep but only 6" by 12"wide, my return will be coming in here and I may install a sock holder as well. Space is getting tight from above and assume I will have salt creep affecting any light sitting above.

I have space next to the tank for those 12" square flat LED grow fixtures. I would think this would work fine and keep the light more protected from the elements above.

Any thoughts?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice many who run refuges have a light illuminating from the top. I currently do the same with a cheap Home Depot grow bulb.

I'm rebuilding my 20 gallon high sump and am going to have a deep refuge area first in line, it will be 10 " deep but only 6" by 12"wide, my return will be coming in here and I may install a sock holder as well. Space is getting tight from above and assume I will have salt creep affecting any light sitting above.

I have space next to the tank for those 12" square flat LED grow fixtures. I would think this would work fine and keep the light more protected from the elements above.

Any thoughts?
I actually light mine from above and from the side with some cheap Amazon leds and they work great for me

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually light mine from above and from the side with some cheap Amazon leds and they work great for me
oh-you-fancy-huh.jpg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts?
If you want to light it from above this would fit the dimensions you listed perfectly, I think I paid less than $20 for this and it grows algae like crazy in my fuge

20190407_155059.jpg

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I used egg crate to partition my old 55g about 3" from the back glass. then added 2 4' 2 tube shop behind the tank pointing forward to light up that area.

Worked great. Macros took off and nitrates dropped to 0 in three weeks.
my .02

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back