Anyone made a frozen food feeder?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need only a daily feeder, small for a nano, thinking of hanging a frozen fish food lolly from some kind of insulated container, melting over 6-8 hours...anyone done this? Any tips pointers welcome.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw a cube in my auto pellet feeder ring. It floats in the small ring until it thaws and sinks into the tank.
Some people like rinsing their product but i use PE mysis and im not concerned with excess phosphate.

Once in the AM and once at night. I just use the 10 min feed function on my pump or set it on kasa.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw a cube in my auto pellet feeder ring. It floats in the small ring until it thaws and sinks into the tank.
Some people like rinsing their product but i use PE mysis and im not concerned with excess phosphate.

Once in the AM and once at night. I just use the 10 min feed function on my pump or set it on kasa.

I’m after a device that will feed th tank over an 8 hour period.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh gotcha. Maybe if you left this above the water line it would very slowly feed the tank but I am not sure. Good luck, it’s a cool idea!

thanks, tried a couple of tests, got the melting period to 2 hours, just need to add another 6 hours to that lol

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try to wrap it in a moldable ice pack, like you would put around your leg.

yeah looked into that, yeah it’s a good suggestion I sort of moved away from that idea as they are quite bulky but I’ll take another look might be something out there more malleable.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a vacuum container of some sort that you can invert and use the lid as a funnel device or add to it.
Ive had ice water with icecubes keep in a camelbak vacuum bottle for over 24h.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a vacuum container of some sort that you can invert and use the lid as a funnel device or add to it.
Ive had ice water with icecubes keep in a camelbak vacuum bottle for over 24h.

I’m thinking along the same lines, a travel cup, doubled walled, drill a hole in middle, silicon a tube down the middle, fill with water, freeze, place lolly in tube to drip into the tank, input from you guys before I started to see if any better ideas out there...yeah the buying option of the above product, it’s a backup but would cost me near £200 with shipping and custom charges of 20% of product price and shipping!!!!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@WallyB did one recently.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@WallyB did one recently.
Thanks for the link but was looking for a more compact solution, I have come across this thread, looks good but far too big for my small tank and would cost quite a bit. I would be willing to pay but I think I can come up with something more compact for my needs.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking along the same lines, a travel cup, doubled walled, drill a hole in middle, silicon a tube down the middle, fill with water, freeze, place lolly in tube to drip into the tank, input from you guys before I started to see if any better ideas out there...yeah the buying option of the above product, it’s a backup but would cost me near £200 with shipping and custom charges of 20% of product price and shipping!!!!
I feel you.
I just paid $360 shipping for a recaro carseat and stroller from your neck of the woods.
Not fun when they dont sell the stuff you want in your country!

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you.
I just paid $360 shipping for a recaro carseat and stroller from your neck of the woods.
Not fun when they dont sell the stuff you want in your country!

Hopefully that will change now we have left the EU, I’m eager to try Larry’s Reef frenzy, I saw a post where he said he tried importing into the UK but the EU rules made it impossible...hope he’s noticed we’ve left lol

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I am getting there, my prototype isn’t the best looking thing but I’ve managed to get the melt time to 4-5 hours, just need 2-3 more then I’ll be happy, tried it today and the fish looked a lot better when I came home, they have been not very active until they spot me then go mad, today they were swimming around and didn’t greet me as enthusiastically as normal, which is good for them, not so much for me as I liked the welcome lol

I’ll post pictures of the finished device when it’s ready.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best of luck with this innovation!

Back