Anyone moved from an ATI T5 fixture to Aquatic Life Hybrid with Radion?

silverarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a 4 bulb 24" ATI Powermodule over a 40 gallon tank. I'm contemplating on switching over to Aquatic Life T5 fixture with two XR15 G5s. Tank is mostly acroporas, so I am hoping to get more PAR near the two ends of the tank and a bit more pop from the acros. The ATI powermodule does have strip of LED in the middle but I turned it way down since it creates a hotspot directly below it. I just wanted to hear from folks who had made the switch and what their thoughts/experiences were. Thanks.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really would not bother. I have ATI 8 x 54w powermodule and Aquatic life T5 hybrid. Nothing grows corals like ATI powermodules. It has one cord. Your new proposal would have 4 or 5 power cords. Reeflink interface is 2010 like software that is horrible. I would stay like you are unless you get a deeper tank.

I have 8 x 54 watts bulks 10" over surface is even for full blown SPS tank. Adding Kessil to an Aquatic life fixture, you would need 4 A360Xs to get even coverage on a 4 foot tank. That is 450 usd each x 4 = 2000 usd. Lights last 5 years if run every day.

Honestly if you have bug add reef breeder and t5 combo way above tank.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily expect better health and coloration, but you will get controllability, sunrise and sunset blues, some shimmer, and pop. Go for it and enjoy seeing your tank in a new light!

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefBum channel on youtube interview Battle Corals owner Eric. He runs the same species in multiple grow out tanks. He always goes back to T5's but essentially said growth is near identical. He also sold all his ecotechs for reef breeders.

I would steer you towards ATI powermodule with LEDs instead. I am not an ecotech fan.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam said growth is more vigorous under halides, but there is something special about t5 because of the diffused light spread.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is certainly not the level of marketing for ATI in hobby as others. Their ability is a bit understated. A few user guides and general spectrum info will go along way.

I would suggest them as well. I have grown weary of the multiple cords, power supplies, and wifi adapters. Powermodule is close to gold standard of T5 Halides. Reflector on LEDS is fairly diffuse with estimated 30 degree spread.

Even in this system most of the light energy will be T5s. BRS should really follow up the T5 series lighting with evaluating best ATI Powermodule set up with suggested hight and settings since they have all the tools on hand.

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really would not bother. I have ATI 8 x 54w powermodule and Aquatic life T5 hybrid. Nothing grows corals like ATI powermodules. It has one cord. Your new proposal would have 4 or 5 power cords. Reeflink interface is 2010 like software that is horrible. I would stay like you are unless you get a deeper tank.

I have 8 x 54 watts bulks 10" over surface is even for full blown SPS tank. Adding Kessil to an Aquatic life fixture, you would need 4 A360Xs to get even coverage on a 4 foot tank. That is 450 usd each x 4 = 2000 usd. Lights last 5 years if run every day.

Honestly if you have bug add reef breeder and t5 combo way above tank.
I've got this exact same setup. Seeing daily growth on my SPS and can grow acro anywhere in the tank I want.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam said growth is more vigorous under halides, but there is something special about t5 because of the diffused light spread.
Best reef light is halides/T5s. Very natural look, real pigment formation, amazing colony structure, and great growth rates.
For relatively shallow water tanks, under 24", we can also use ATI Sunpower fixtures and that is the easiest way to get superb color/growth results for ANY coral. Just can't beat T5 only system for it's simplicity!
I would get a Sunpower any time over the Powermodule (with LEDs).
Forget Radions.

Last edited:
Back