Anyone on R2R living in Philippines?

Discussion in 'Global Local Reef Club Discussion' started by SDM, Dec 12, 2018.

1. SDM

SDM Member

I am American living in Philippines, have had my 240 gallon tank for about 1 year, would like advice and help from people also living in Philippines. Since I am American I am always getting the higher price quotes then the locals will get. I am also looking for a good place to buy the needed things for my aquarium, test kits, dry feed, etc. I am in QC, fairview.

LetItReef and Flippers4pups like this.

2. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Bump

3. SpeakerToAnimals

SpeakerToAnimals New Member

Hello! Finally created an account haha.

I'm a foreigner living in the Philippines as well, and I've been here a while. In case you didn't know, as per an outdated Philippine law (which is still in effect), no one is allowed to possess corals, and even dead stony coral structures, unless it's for legit research purposes.

FOWLRs are the only legal option here :(
    But there's a thriving reefing community, nevertheless haha.

For shops, these are a few: Royal Aquatics (LS, equipment, media), The Glass Reef (Media and feed mostly), FEV Marine (equipment). You can check them all out of FB and contact them via their pages.

Cartimar Pet Center is the best place to canvass but yeah, foreigners (I'm one too) get higher prices sometimes. It's best to go there once you're familiar with the prices. The shops mentioned above are legit but pricey compared to Cartimar. Risk, however, in Cartimar is disease because the LS are not quarantined properly.

Hope this helps.

SDM and KrisReef like this.
  4. KrisReef

KrisReef Valuable Member

@SpeakerToAnimals
    Welcome to Reef2Reef. I'd like to hear more about the reefing community in the Philippines.
    You might start a thread and let folks know what you know about the underground reefs of the Philippines.

5. SpeakerToAnimals

Thank you!

I'd like to, and I've thought about doing it a couple of times before but it's a bit risky. I'm sure there are government agents prowling forums every now and then. I had to visit OP's profile to make sure he's a real person and not bait hahaha. Sorry OP.

Just a month ago one of our biggest reefers got caught trying to export corals so that shook up the community quite a bit. I understand though that he probably had to take such a desperate measure because he, at the time, had quite a big project running and such a small local target market so maybe he couldn't make ends meet.

They let him go but the whole ordeal is still scary to us who just want to enjoy a hobby that the rest of the world is making so much progress with :(

The government should understand that we're not trawling the reefs, we're just fraging and growing whatever we already have.

6. SDM

SDM Member

Lol no I'm just like you a normal person that wants a nice salt water tank. I have found a few good people that I can deal with on facebook.

I recently bought an reef octopus elite 200 INT skimmer from a person locally. For 17500 peso $340 USD. I seen it on line for almost 2 times that price. Amazon is showing $650. For it.

I get my fish from the guy that set up my tank. Supposed to be lifetime fish and corals. He is an exporter of fish. He frags the corals and that's how I get mine. My main thing is the hard to get items. I spoke with someone about carbon they wanted to sell me 2 liters for 3000. No thank you. But as I search around on fb I'm finding decent people to get items from. Usually same price as USA.

I'm in fairview where do you hang your hat? @speakerstoanimals

7. SpeakerToAnimals

I'm in the Ermita area. Good you've made connections. Only way to get anywhere in the hobby here without busting a hole in your wallet.

You'll come across a lot of stupidly opportunistic people here that you'll get used to just walking away from even as they shout out their lowering prices haha.

The A1 shop in Cartimar is well stocked with almost everything, and they can't cheat you on the prices because they all have price tags.

I can message some of the online groups to you, if you haven't joined any so far.

SDM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted