Anyone running g5 xr15’s for sps? Looking for advice and experiences

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a g5 xr15 and finally got my tank stable for sps. I have a couple pieces that seem to be doing ok but i wanted to get some more light demanding pieces down the road however im worried about my par

Im using an rms mount and running ab+. Using a par meter i tested the par and im only getting 300-310 at surface and and roughly 160-170 at 7” below surface where the top of my rockwork is.

ive seen some videos/posts of people showing similar par levels, including brs.

my question is, are any of you running a g5 xr15 for sps and if so, what point intensity and Schedule intensity are you running and to what success? Par numbers welcome if you have them

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a g5 xr15 and finally got my tank stable for sps. I have a couple pieces that seem to be doing ok but i wanted to get some more light demanding pieces down the road however im worried about my par

Im using an rms mount and running ab+. Using a par meter i tested the par and im only getting 300-310 at surface and and roughly 160-170 at 7” below surface where the top of my rockwork is.

my question is, are any of you running a g5 xr15 for sps and if so, what point intensity and Schedule intensity are you running and to what success? Par numbers welcome if you have them
See mine attached. I’m looking to get a third XR15 potentially.

FDCF33F4-8EFE-486B-9FFF-51031278C529.jpeg 970696EB-1CE5-4F8B-BBC0-6E563E96CAD1.jpeg 870F68AF-091F-43AA-B00F-E825406D54C4.jpeg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 20 long (breeder) and I was running and G3 XR15. I found that it didn't have enough umph for my coral. I have SPS in and zoas in the higher light areas. I put a single T5 bulb to try and give it some gas but ... it didn't really help. I upgraded to the G5 XR30. Even though I am running it at 35% it seems to be doing way better than the near 85% on the G3 XR15 plus the T5. I don't know what the PAR is, didn't bother to check, so I can't speak to any of that.

FWIW.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the tank and what do you run for spectrum? from what ive been seeing, having two units seems to really help par numbers compared to a single unit
It’s a Waterbox 130 so you can infer measurements based on those dimensions. Tank is 48x24x20 using RMS mounts.

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 long (breeder) and I was running and G3 XR15. I found that it didn't have enough umph for my coral. I have SPS in and zoas in the higher light areas. I put a single T5 bulb to try and give it some gas but ... it didn't really help. I upgraded to the G5 XR30. Even though I am running it at 35% it seems to be doing way better than the near 85% on the G3 XR15 plus the T5. I don't know what the PAR is, didn't bother to check, so I can't speak to any of that.

FWIW.

good to know. I may do a t5 hybrid build at this point as I dont really want to upgrade my light when i just got it a couple months ago. the par im seeing just isnt meeting what i expected, although admittedly my sps is doing well so far.

It’s a Waterbox 130 so you can infer measurements based on those dimensions. Tank is 48x24x20 using RMS mounts.

gotcha, thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back