Anyone Running Kessil 360's with Or 120/90/60's?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I just ordered two OR120's to mount with my 4 kessil a360we's. Anyone have any pics of your kessil and OR light setup?

Thanks

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful tank. Checking out your build thread now. Thanks!

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful tank. Checking out your build thread now. Thanks!
Hi,
I just ordered two OR120's to mount with my 4 kessil a360we's. Anyone have any pics of your kessil and OR light setup?

Thanks
I run 4 kessil A360w on articulating mounts with one custom orphek LED bar attached to my 6 bulb ATI T5 fixture.

Pictures are pretty blue heavy right now since I'm still in my dawn ramp up mode. Plus, @ycnibrc tank makes me ashamed to show my pictures after seeing that tank!

20191215_120638.jpg 20191215_120701.jpg

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run 4 kessil A360w on articulating mounts with one custom orphek LED bar attached to my 6 bulb ATI T5 fixture.

Pictures are pretty blue heavy right now since I'm still in my dawn ramp up mode. Plus, @ycnibrc tank makes me ashamed to show my pictures after seeing that tank!

20191215_120638.jpg 20191215_120701.jpg
That's a really nice combo u have there. T5 still very good at growth and led will add pop and the kessil will produce shimmering

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Daniel Waters Is that a 6' tank? I'm trying to figure out how to mount the two or120's above my tank since they are only 4'. My current setup is 6'. I may need to just order two more and stagger them. I guess I'm going to need another par meter to see where my par is with the new or120's. I will be running the kessils down the middle and the or120's on each side like my pic below.

I am wanting to get rid of my 4 t5's and only run kessils and OR120's.

mytank.jpg 20191215_114543.jpg

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Daniel Waters Is that a 6' tank? I'm trying to figure out how to mount the two or120's above my tank since they are only 4'. My current setup is 6'. I may need to just order two more and stagger them. I guess I'm going to need another par meter to see where my par is with the new or120's. I will be running the kessils down the middle and the or120's on each side like my pic below.

I am wanting to get rid of my 4 t5's and only run kessils and OR120's.

mytank.jpg 20191215_114543.jpg
Yes, it's a 6 foot tank.

The Orphek led bar I have is 4 feet long. It illuminates the full 6 feet of my tank, but I keep it mounted fairly high (the OR bar is 13" above the top of my tank). Because I have the 6 bulbs of T5 and the 4 kessils, I'm not having to worry about par on the edges. Plus, I don't really grow high light corals near the tank edges, so I'm just using my OR bar for some additional actinic pop as I used a combination of 410, 430, and 450 nm leds only in my bar. When it's on by itself, it definitely gives that black light type look! I just use my kessil controller to tweak the overall tank color by adding in more white LEDs.

I'm not going to be much help on mounting ideas, unless you want to do a floating canopy, which is what I use. My canopy is actually a uline rack that sits on top of the brackets that go into the wall. It makes it very easy to mount anything and handle cords. The canopy is 3 sided and just slides on top. I can provide you a picture if this idea interests you. If you're not going to use a canopy, you need some sort of box frame where you can mount the LEDs bars on each side and put kessils in the middle (kind of like the aquatic life hybrid setup but led bars in place of the T5 fixtures). Then mount using the typical hanging equipment for fixtures.

4 orphek bars plus the kessils sounds like a lot of light, but I'm not certain how much par the orphek bar really puts out on it's own. The kessils (assuming 4 on your 6 foot tank) probably give you fairly good blanket coverage of 100 to 150 par throughout the tank depending on your mounting height, color, and intensity settings. I'd start with two OR bars with your kessils and add in as needed. Par meter would definitely be a good idea.

Some things to think about:
(1) Since the OR bars are a set color based on your LED diode choices, you just want to be sure you are getting a base look you are happy with. You'll obviously be able to tweak using your kessils, which shouldn't be a problem with two OR bars, but might be with 4 OR bars (in other words, if your OR bars are whiter than you prefer, the kessils may not be able to provide enough blue to compensate). Typically, in my experience, it's easier to add in additional white as a little bit of increase there seems to have a more noticeable effect than trying to add in more blue to a too white color.
(2) If you have not viewed your tank with just the kessils and OR bar on only (no T5s), you should do so. The amount of shimmer will be much greater and noticeable without the T5s. I like shimmer, but without my T5s on, it can be a bit too much for my personal preferences.

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Daniel Waters Thank You. As soon as my 120's arrive this week I am having my BIL build me a nice floating canopy to house the 4 kessils and or120's. He does woodworking for a living. Me not so much, ha. I threw this together in a day just to get the lights hung. I have a 5th kessil if I need it. Guess I will be buying another par meter, ha.

20191215_122708.jpg

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really nice combo u have there. T5 still very good at growth and led will add pop and the kessil will produce shimmering
Thanks! It has been a progression of mix and match of T5 and LEDs. The T5 / led hybrid is my favorite combination. My kessils and LEDs give me shimmer and controllability and the T5s give me the uniform, diffused look I prefer. I never had any trouble growing corals with just my kessils in the past (but was only doing softies and LPS then), but I do have the T5s providing the majority of the par for my tank now.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Daniel Waters Thank You. As soon as my 120's arrive this week I am having my BIL build me a nice floating canopy to house the 4 kessils and or120's. He does woodworking for a living. Me not so much, ha. I threw this together in a day just to get the lights hung. I have a 5th kessil if I need it. Guess I will be buying another par meter, ha.

20191215_122708.jpg
If you have a 5th kessil, I'd use it. With puck style led units, the more the better I think (more point of light sources = less shading). You can always turn the intensity down, which I figure means a longer life for each unit (ideally).

5 kessils and 2 OR bars, and you should be fine par wise I think on a 6 foot tank. With your aquascape, I wouldn't be too concerned about lower par on the edges.

@TheOne, running all LEDs with T5s off, does the amount of shimmer bother you? With my kessils, it's just a bit too much. Almost gives me a headache!

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is alot of shimmer. My wife likes it and since it's in the dining room I can live with it, ha.

Here is with t5s on.

20191215_130618.jpg

Here is with them off. You can definately tell a difference.

20191215_130647.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back