Anyone running the older and newer versions of AI Prime HD side by side?

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the title says. I have the previous version of the AI Prime HD (13 LEDs versus the newer model with 16 LEDs) that I was hoping to use on a 40 breeder, but obviously would need two to cover the 36" length. I've been unsuccessful sourcing another one, and am curious if anyone has experience running the AI Prime HD 16 on the same tank as an older AI Prime HD -- any visible difference in the light display? I wanted two of the same for aesthetics, but am not excited by the idea of buying two more lights to ensure a match.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 2 original primes and two HD’s over my 90 gal.
I have one of each - on each side. I do not see a color difference but because I have them close together they may not show the difference.

the newer ones have more bulbs and can also be overclocked. So I would assume there would be a color difference if you only have two, but I could not say for sure.

I say set them up and give it a test. I would be curious to see your results.
Take care and HAPPY REEFING!

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At very low % of power (~5-8%) there is a noticeble difference in the blue/violet spectrums with the 16HD being a little more violet/royal but anything more and you can't tell. I have two currently on the same tank and that's the only time I've noticed the difference.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As sas226 said, the only way you noticed is when it was on low percentage or max, cause the 16hd can overdrive some channels more.

I used 2 HDs and 16HD on a 40breeder... I was thinking SPS right away but this is my 1st reef tank. So I am clearly not ready for SPS

I may have the same story as yours, I got 16HD from ebay, then for some times, I cannot get another 16HD for reasonable price.
Then I saw someone sold 2 Prime HDs for a price I cant refused.
After couple months, I finally got another 16HD locally for cheap. Now I just use 2 16HD over my 40B

OP
OP
S

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At very low % of power (~5-8%) there is a noticeble difference in the blue/violet spectrums with the 16HD being a little more violet/royal but anything more and you can't tell. I have two currently on the same tank and that's the only time I've noticed the difference.
As sas226 said, the only way you noticed is when it was on low percentage or max, cause the 16hd can overdrive some channels more.

I used 2 HDs and 16HD on a 40breeder... I was thinking SPS right away but this is my 1st reef tank. So I am clearly not ready for SPS

I may have the same story as yours, I got 16HD from ebay, then for some times, I cannot get another 16HD for reasonable price.
Then I saw someone sold 2 Prime HDs for a price I cant refused.
After couple months, I finally got another 16HD locally for cheap. Now I just use 2 16HD over my 40B

Thanks for the info -- I'll have to see whether the difference is visible in my set up, or whether to go with a different lighting solution.

OP
OP
S

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 2 original primes and two HD’s over my 90 gal.
I have one of each - on each side. I do not see a color difference but because I have them close together they may not show the difference.

the newer ones have more bulbs and can also be overclocked. So I would assume there would be a color difference if you only have two, but I could not say for sure.

I say set them up and give it a test. I would be curious to see your results.
Take care and HAPPY REEFING!

I'm not enthused by the idea of differing spectrums, but if I can find a deal on a 16 HD, I may give it a go, since they'll be placed rather close together and overlapping on a 40 breeder.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did at one time and they almost seemed the same, perhaps a little more blue and purple from the HD unit

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not enthused by the idea of differing spectrums, but if I can find a deal on a 16 HD, I may give it a go, since they'll be placed rather close together and overlapping on a 40 breeder.
Well you'll never run them at 5% power for more than a minute or two during a ramp on and that's the only time you can visibly see the difference.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at my PAR post in the lighting section. I have all three generations over my tank.
2B1AAEA3-CA5B-4F55-9C00-3D01F318EC6E.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back