OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both are mean, its a clarki clown the one your calling a blue stripe. The maroon will eventually kill all the other clowns, They are the meanest clowns around, just do some research on them and you'll see. It might take a while, but when the maroon gets bigger, it's lights out for the others.
That really sucks. I wanted to get a few designer clowns too, and a pair of skunk clowns.....
Yeah the maroon is same size or a little smaller than the clarki clown. So right now, the clarki is acting in charge.... algebarn said it was a pair that was fine for months, then I bought the pair, and they said for some reason they got a divorce in my tank, and the big clarki bullied the smaller clarki into the bottom corner and it died a month ago.

So it's dumb to hope my maroon has a chill personality and could be an exception? Because I had a dogface puffer in the first 2 months of aquarium last year, and he did not eat a single shrimp, and my harlequin shrimp pair scared him away by waiving their arms..... and my snowflake eel and harlequin sweetlips also have never ate another fish or invert, and all these fish have serious disclaimers saying inverts are not safe with them. so if the standard is maroons will kill everyone, there can be exceptions right? the small nemos just float upside down in the top corners of the tank half the day, and act drunk all the time, so why will the maroon ever care to kill them?

isn't the tomato clown the worst?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All are in the damsel family, and all damsels are d-bags. Yes your maroon could be an exception, but it's highly unlikely.

It's a territorial thing, the maroon will eventually want the entire tank for itself, and kill anything that gets near its "home".

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it was all dead dry rock? see attached. original pics from a year ago. it has been 1 year though. March 2019 the rocks, water installed.

Along the way a few large rocks been added, with corals already on them, so that's live wet rock i assume.....

thanks for the reinforcements about the clowns. won't add more and will monitor the maroon. was feeling sorry for him, but I guess hes playing games with the clarki.... hes not really being held in the top corner.... the clarki chases him there 100 times every evening, and then turns around..... content with maroon back in the top corner, but maroon keeps coming out to do laps and clarki just keeps chasing him back up there.

and PS, that dogface puffer, I was charged $1,000 for it. Maintenance guy Trent Smith with Crystal Dynamic Aquarium in Oceansid, CA is an absolute scammer. Never even did a water change from March - July when he was charging me $200 a visit too.

IMG_20190319_1513313.jpg IMG_20190321_1007557.jpg IMG_20190410_1504097.jpg

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that was dead dry rock. Could be leeching from the rock then.

Do a largish water change(forget how big the tank is, sorry), like 50% if possible. Then test the PO4, if it's lower your remving some. Then test again in a couple hours and see what the number is. If it went higher it's leeching from the rocks, and some GFO or lanthanum chloride might be in order to lower it. if stays the same as the first test, it's probably from overfeeding.

I have never seen high phosphates kill corals with the exception of SPS, but it will certainly fuel an algae outbreak.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clowns are probably all still male, hence no fighting. Once they mature, and one become female(most likely the dominant maroon)is when the fighting will break out.

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that was dead dry rock. Could be leeching from the rock then.

even a year later, it can be leeching from rocks? at some point it will stop leeching right?

its a 300 gallon tank, but minus all the rocks, etc, its maybe 260 gallons?

i did have a big tank crash last may. and maintenance guy still never did a water change til summer, and even then only 10-15% changes, so perhaps my phosphates were so high back then, they are still lingering now.

i keep reading about algae outbreaks but what are the big negatives with it? lawnmower blennys would be happy, right? i have a big one and small one, the small one eats the seaweed sheets i put in for the tangs, and algae i assume because i see it sucking the glass, and the big one only eats algae (sucking the glass) totally ignores mysis shrimp. so some algae is good right?

appreciate the GFO and lanthanum chloride options to look into if PO4 doesnt lower after more water changes.

maybe you also agree its leftover level from tank crash last may when everything died except cleaner shrimp, 4 damsels.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why or how did your tank crash?
My clarki even attempts to bully the tang around. You just happened to have the two most aggressive Clowns.
Hanna checkers for everything that they offer or add on to your apex what they offer. Everyone’s eyes are different and Im just plain bad at the color charts.
Once you get your numbers stable you won’t need to check that often

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why or how did your tank crash?
My clarki even attempts to bully the tang around. You just happened to have the two most aggressive Clowns.
Hanna checkers for everything that they offer or add on to your apex what they offer. Everyone’s eyes are different and Im just plain bad at the color charts.
Once you get your numbers stable you won’t need to check that often

That is awesome. It's a digital test! Perfect buying it now.
How insane that both Trenton Smith, and then Patrick Maynard another maintenance guy that handles millionaires aquariums, can't even get a $50 digital checker? Uses junk test kits, WHY. unbelievable.

My tank crashed in Month 3 because I was adding too many fish, buying them online and getting sucked into free shipping deals if I added X dollar amount more..... So tank hadn't even done cycles, kept adding fish, and on top of it, maintenance guy Trenton Smith was canceling on maintenance visits half of the weeks he was supposed to come, and never did a water change even when he did come.

I had dread every morning in May, June, July expecting another dead fish on the sand in the corner. I started expecting something bad every day I looked.

Finally though, as of November, It is how it is supposed to be. I wake up looking for a dead fish, and never see one. Fish don't die anymore.... Just wall hammers I try to buy keep dying after a few weeks, and a few other corals. Hopefully the phosphates issue is the reason, and why my anemones don't look happy, and keep moving around. I don't have any other things to look at since I have increased the power heads flow on the apex to 60-90% power, and increased the lighting intensity on my 4 kessils, and im raising my magnesium.....

If I do a 50% water change, 150 gallons, that won't lower my bio load and set me back months? But with all the fish I have slowly added since November, won't it be too much waste for a reset bio load? Or bio load isnt cut in half if I do a 50% water change.

Last edited:

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria we rely on to convert ammonia to nitrite, then to nitrate, live on your rocks, sandbed, and any hard surface in the system. Yes some do live in the water column, but very few.

No a 50% WC will not hurt anything or disrupt the bioload.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checkers for everything that they offer or add on to your apex what they offer.
Only caveat, the calcium checker is garbage. You have to dilute the sample with EXACTLY 1ml of distilled water. A drop less or a drop more throws the test way off.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will never use any other (hobby grade) tester other than a hanna! I don’t have an apex yet or anything else so for now it’s handheld.
I have never experienced an issue with 50% water change, in fact I did it twice this week because I wanted to lift rocks to see if 2 watchmen were still alive and together and they were with their pistol.
Others say it it is an issue changing that much....so I dunno!!!

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying all 3 Hanna Checkers!

Thanks homer!

great.jpg

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only caveat, the calcium checker is garbage. You have to dilute the sample with EXACTLY 1ml of distilled water. A drop less or a drop more throws the test way off.

That’s good to know, I only have a Red Sea calcium and hardly use. Mostly keep Alk stable and everything else seems to follow

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seeing what @homer1475 said, maybe loose the calcium checker and see if they have the hanna salinity/temp. If you mix your own salt it really is a life changer lol

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it it is an issue changing that much....so I dunno!!!
Will never use any other (hobby grade) tester other than a hanna! I don’t have an apex yet or anything else so for now it’s handheld.
I have never experienced an issue with 50% water change, in fact I did it twice this week because I wanted to lift rocks to see if 2 watchmen were still alive and together and they were with their pistol.
Others say it it is an issue changing that much....so I dunno!!!

Well 50% would take me many hours with rodi system, so I'll probably end up just doing 30-40 gallons at a time!

I will remove the calcium hanna checker and just keep using the test kits I have.

The apex i have just shows PH, Temp, Salt and Orp

If they have probes that can add Calcium, Magnesium, alkalinity, phosphate I would buy those. guess I should look into it....

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing what @homer1475 said, maybe loose the calcium checker and see if they have the hanna salinity/temp

Well I bought this a week ago because I started doing my own water changes with rodi water and salt

The specific gravity is great, but the temp on it, isn't accurate! Anyone else have this problem? If the room is 74 degrees, the instrument says about 72 degrees because the metal cylinder makes it cold..... add a sample water dot and it barely moves the temp to 72.4 or 72.6 etc... even warm water in the 80s doesn't even reflect it on the refractometer..... i huff some hot breath on the metal to w arm it up, but then its just as inaccurate the other way. i contacted milwaukee for answers why it even shows temp when it is not accurate

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have probes that can add Calcium, Magnesium, alkalinity, phosphate I would buy those. guess I should look into it....
They do not have probes, but they do have the trident which test Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium.

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my hanna salinity/temp(model #HI98319) so easy to use. My milwuakee and refractometer sit on the shelf other then the double check the hanna once in a while.
ah you have the milwaukee too

this one?

what's wrong with the temp on it?

see pic. it was saying 72.4 temp even though my aquarium was 76 and even waiting a minute, did not bring it to 76, just 72.5 and 72.6

how can a drop sample of water warm up a cold metal cylinder?

-2522784673806588477.jpg

Back