Anyone see an anemone look like this?

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason I asked is that I was using a clip to hold the sheets and there was always always uneaten pieces floating around, now I have a grazer made by innovative marine that is held with a magnet and seems to work way better.

I’ve never rinsed food either. Although we don’t use cubes all that much unless it’s PE mysis or calanus, mostly Reef frenzy and pellets

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open sump, so opening the canopy probably won't help much.

if at all possible, see that little tube on top of the silencer for the skimmer(that little red barrel that the red tube is connected to)? Connect an airline to that nipple, then run it outside and see what happens. Will take a good day to get any noticable results. Just keep that in mind, that it's not an instant thing. You have to rid the water of all the excess CO2 first.

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I wouldn’t say all maintenance pros being scammers, just like anyone in all types of business and they are ONLY out to make a $ almost anyone can baffle people with crap if they appear like they know what they’re talking about.

What are you using to hold the tangs nori? A clip or a grazer?

My maintenance guy Trenton Smith of Crystal Dynamic Aquarium installed my chiller beneath my aquarium, turned it into a sauna every day, and was just overworking, heating the water to 83 degrees while trying to cool it. This, besides stealing a huge coral budget from me by depleting it with insane marked up prices, flaking on maintenance visits, installing defective dosing equipment, etc.

Actually filing a lawsuit against him. He literally stole my coral budget. Everyone says they manufacture aquariums and he doesn't know anything about maintenance.

Bad luck for me, wish I had found a better maintenance guy
Now I'll do it myself

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

if at all possible, see that little tube on top of the silencer for the skimmer(that little red barrel that the red tube is connected to)? Connect an airline to that nipple, then run it outside and see what happens. Will take a good day to get any noticable results. Just keep that in mind, that it's not an instant thing. You have to rid the water of all the excess CO2 first.

Did I miss it, but how is the water movement at the top of the water column and the gas exchange?

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Connect an airline? Lol I'm not handy. No idea how to do that. But very interesting. Run it outside? The wire just runs through the house? Just for a day? Then remove it?

Is it an open sump? I have doors. It's all enclosed behind doors. Base and canopy sandwich the aquarium.

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss it, but how is the water movement at the top of the water column and the gas exchange?
I have 2 power heads near the top doing strong flow now, increased them on apex to 80-90% for some hours in the evening.

It's a deep 50 inch aquarium though. And idk what gas parameter to check.

And I had to block off most of the teeth on overflow box so water level would rise to the start of the canopy otherwise the kessil lights were showing through the gap. And I'd be sitting on the couch seeing blinding light at the water surface until the canopy .... So there's only the corner of the square overflow box where the water filters out . Maintenance guy himself glued plastic squares to the inside of the overflow box. He manufactured the aquarium and I pointed out this is b.s. about the water level not reaching to the top /overlapping the canopy so I have little filtration to the sump/skimmer area

IMG_20200328_0502187.jpg

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes open as in no tops.

Connect an airline as in literally just go to walmart or any pet store, buy some airline hose, and push it onto the nipple on the muffler, then thrw the other end out a window/door for now just to see if it helps. Easy peasy!

As far as rasing the water level in the tank, pic of your overflow setup? Center tower style overflow, or do you have 2 small boxes? One inside with weir teeth, and another on the outside of the tankwith the plumbing attached.

Pics of your complete setup would help. If it's setup properly, you may just have to extend a pipe as opposed to blocking off the weir teeth(major no no and looking to cause a flood).

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was only throwing it out there, don’t want to distract you from the excellent help you’re getting and just following along taking mental notes for myself. Don’t think there’s a way us hobbyist can measure that.

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes open as in no tops.

Connect an airline as in literally just go to walmart or any pet store, buy some airline hose, and push it onto the nipple on the muffler, then thrw the other end out a window/door for now just to see if it helps. Easy peasy!

As far as rasing the water level in the tank, pic of your overflow setup? Center tower style overflow, or do you have 2 small boxes? One inside with weir teeth, and another on the outside of the tankwith the plumbing attached.

Pics of your complete setup would help. If it's setup properly, you may just have to extend a pipe as opposed to blocking off the weir teeth(major no no and looking to cause a flood).

No way to cause a flood. Sump can only fill to a certain level.

Had no choice. The teeth had to be blocked. The overflow box should have been made taller and the teeth not cut so low. See pics.

Sounds like a center tower but not in center, in back corner and we'll hidden now with my Rockwork additions.

IMG_20200328_0508464.jpg IMG_20200328_0510498.jpg IMG_20200328_0510427.jpg IMG_20200328_0511275.jpg IMG_20200328_0511166.jpg

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, on your clams......

I have never had luck with any clam under 1" and I have several that are thriving.

In the end, all that matters is stability rather then an exact number as long as that number is somewhere within normal range.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic from the top down into the overflow will help.

From your pics, I see 3 pipes coming out of the overflow, that means you either have 2 drains and 1 return line, or 3 drains, and 1 return?

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my overflow box has a lid and I stacked it with paper weights so no fish can jump on to the lid and die. So not able to take a pic down the inside of the tower

this the valve ball/gate you talking about?

looks like 4 pipes go up the overflow box tower

I just hope my phosphates lower. I don't overfeed. So it's either leftover levels from last May tank crash, or the filtering is minimal due to the depth of tank and blocking off some teeth on overflow box.

IMG_20200328_0525365.jpg IMG_20200328_0525464.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey people.
I don't know why no one could look at the anemone on the glass, with nothing but a ring and hollow center seeing right through, and say it's dying, get rid of it before it's mush.

When all it took was a couple days since, it seems pretty obvious for anyone here replying to people. I would think anyone replying has experience and knows what they are talking about, or why chime in? How could no one say this was dead? I put it on the rock to let it rest, wasn't even stuck to the glass just slid right off, and was just stressing me out seeing it stretched and ripped and thin, and 2 days later it's just this mush:

Not cool people. Guess I got to learn myself. Trying to get free advice here doesn't work out lol nothing is free.

I get triton lab results in a few days so I'll know then what to add or not.
I got this far and honestly i cant even force myself to continue this thread. you are basically blaming other people for your own failures in research and keeping animals alive, like "why didn't you guys tell me this? guess you aren't any help" thats childish and petty. Its your responsibility to research things before you buy them, especially living animals. And also, as an adult you need to learn to take responsibility for your own actions and not just blame others and cry like a child.

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this far and honestly i cant even force myself to continue this thread. you are basically blaming other people for your own failures in research and keeping animals alive, like "why didn't you guys tell me this? guess you aren't any help" thats childish and petty. Its your responsibility to research things before you buy them, especially living animals. And also, as an adult you need to learn to take responsibility for your own actions and not just blame others and cry like a child.

Lol we past that, but it was weird that I showed a pic of an anemone on the glass with no middle, just a circle outside, and nobody said it's probably dying. But then it did turn to mush 2 days later. Don't think I blamed anyone for it actually dying. Pretty sure my water parameters did that or it was just a defective anemone from the store.

Anyone interested, here was my dogface puffer being scared away by harlequin shrimp. So much for a predator eating an invert

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a pic of the internal overflow box, it's hard to diagnose the situation, but if I had to guess, you just need to close the valve a bit, and raise the emergency pipe. Then quite blocking off the weir teeth!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol we past that, so kick rocks, but it was weird that I showed a pic of an anemone on the glass with no middle, just a circle outside, and nobody said it's probably dying. But then it did turn to mush 2 days later. Don't think I blamed anyone for it actually dying. Pretty sure my water parameters did that or it was just a defective anemone from the store.

Anyone interested, here was my dogface puffer being scared away by harlequin shrimp. So much for a predator eating an invert

Just saying...
You come off as a complete ****** both then and now.
Ill make sure to ignore you from now one.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I won't disagree with you, you could have been a little more tact in your response.
Just saying...
You come off as a complete ****** both then and now.
Ill make sure to ignore you from now one.
...And they give you the hospitality award?

OP
OP
D

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a pic of the internal overflow box, it's hard to diagnose the situation, but if I had to guess, you just need to close the valve a bit, and raise the emergency pipe. Then quite blocking off the weir teeth!
But what is the problem? You lost me. Change the piping so I remove the squares blocking some teeth, so phosphate lower? Your hunch is filtration is less, so my phosphates remain? Or it's the rocks leeching? Both maybe. And tank crash last May. I bet since the tank crash, only done about 300 gallons of water changes. And it's a 300 gallon tank.

The maintenance guy is Trenton Smith with Crystal dynamic aquarium. He manufactured it. So instead of putting plastic squares blocking the teeth, he could have modified the piping if possible. Then again, he was very lazy. So who knows.

Back