Anyone seen a Duncan Coral eat an Asterina Starfish?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw an Asterina Starfish on my Duncan head tonight and I thought about removing it but when I went back to check again, I see the Duncan partially closed and pulling the Asterina into it's mouth and I watched it disappear and it closed up a fair bit but then opened up again. Never heard of a coral eating an Asterina Star before and it shocked me that it was a Duncan that only has one fully formed head at this point. Just curious if anyone else had observed this?

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow!! No, i've never heard of that but still hear or see something new every day. I'd honestly have thought that was a typo and the star ate the duncan

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
never have but would be a bonus

OP
OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow!! No, i've never heard of that but still hear or see something new every day. I'd honestly have thought that was a typo and the star ate the duncan

I did some searching and the only other reference I have found thus far was a Reddit post from another guy reporting the exact same thing 4 years ago. I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some searching and the only other reference I have found thus far was a Reddit post from another guy reporting the exact same thing 4 years ago. I'll keep an eye on it for sure.
That's really amazing, I'd doubt that it's any real helpful form of control unless you have a Duncan species tank lol.. but that's really interesting. Do you have more stars in the tank, if it was me I'd so be trying to feed it starfish in a few days lolol!!

Sabmanj72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw an Asterina Starfish on my Duncan head tonight and I thought about removing it but when I went back to check again, I see the Duncan partially closed and pulling the Asterina into it's mouth and I watched it disappear and it closed up a fair bit but then opened up again. Never heard of a coral eating an Asterina Star before and it shocked me that it was a Duncan that only has one fully formed head at this point. Just curious if anyone else had observed this?
20221106_113226.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back