Anyone seen a Duncan Coral eat an Asterina Starfish?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Saw an Asterina Starfish on my Duncan head tonight and I thought about removing it but when I went back to check again, I see the Duncan partially closed and pulling the Asterina into it's mouth and I watched it disappear and it closed up a fair bit but then opened up again. Never heard of a coral eating an Asterina Star before and it shocked me that it was a Duncan that only has one fully formed head at this point. Just curious if anyone else had observed this?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Oh wow!! No, i've never heard of that but still hear or see something new every day. I'd honestly have thought that was a typo and the star ate the duncan

I did some searching and the only other reference I have found thus far was a Reddit post from another guy reporting the exact same thing 4 years ago. I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

TJDSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I did some searching and the only other reference I have found thus far was a Reddit post from another guy reporting the exact same thing 4 years ago. I'll keep an eye on it for sure.
That's really amazing, I'd doubt that it's any real helpful form of control unless you have a Duncan species tank lol.. but that's really interesting. Do you have more stars in the tank, if it was me I'd so be trying to feed it starfish in a few days lolol!!

RAP

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 163 41.2%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 35 8.8%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 173 43.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.5%
Innovative Marine