Anyone set up an old cell phone as video monitor for their tank?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-your-old-phone-into-a-home-security-camera/

I came across this article on CNET about how to use an old cell phone as a security camera and thought it would be cool to set one up to monitor my tank. I have a couple old Android devices laying around that I could use. The article mentions two apps that are both available for Android. I'm just curious if anyone's done this if so what apps are you using. I'm looking for free apps with the most benefits. Being able to login to my current phone and checking on the tank is cool enough for me. However, if there's a free app that gives me more like web hosting the videos for later review, that would be awesome.

Jeff Heinle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I-cam from the App Store. I set it up this morning because my dogs were being idiots and I wanted to keep an eye on them. Works great. Pointed it at the tank with an orange filter and it would work awesome for that too!

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a few different ones and ended up keeping Alfred from the link above. It has a pretty decent live picture with hardly any lagging. Pics up sound, has an option for motion activation, night vision (really low light vision), allows me to turn on the flash light on the phone being used as a camera, also allows me to speak through my microphone. The free feature that sold me was the ability to set it to record 30 sec clips when the motion sensor is activated and I can also record 30 sec clips while watching live as well. Not bad at all for free. The premium paid features look pretty good too, but I don't have the need for those.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back