Anyone still prefer the 10K look, or even 6.5K? What's with all the windex colored tanks?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running 2 coral plus and 2 antic. I was not digging the blue. I just added a 10k bulb but was thinking of a 6500k. I like the look of the 10k so I'll leave it alone.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve always greatly preferred the blue look. When I ran halides I ran only Radiums on electronic ballasts with blue supplements. When I ran T5’s I ran blue+ with actinic supplements. Now I run Hydras and run a very blue setting with all the blue channels at max with whites at around 10%. Just looks

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these pics were taken under the 6500K setting of the Radions. Embrace the warmth!
DSC_0018.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0030.jpg
DSC_0093-2.jpg
DSC_0096-1.jpg

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these pics were taken under the 6500K setting of the Radions. Embrace the warmth!
These shots are amazing! Where did you get these corals? I'm on the hunt for corals that still look great under daylight settings. I'm nervous to buy from a lot of online suppliers because the blue is cranked up so high in their photos I'm worried that it will all just look brown under the warmer lighting I like.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like 12-16k. 20k becomes blue and purple to me.
I have to constantly ask at lfs to turn whites on. LoL
Neon glowing corals are easier to sell duh!
D

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the 10k look! I've always cycled my tanks. Blue leds, t5s(2blue1purple1white), then t5 only, then leds back on for end of night. Enjoy the best of BOTH worlds!

Attachments

• 20210203_175906-01.jpeg
    20210203_175906-01.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210112_163334-01.jpeg
    20210112_163334-01.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201111_154316-01.jpeg
    20201111_154316-01.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190720_211122-02-01.jpeg
    20190720_211122-02-01.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190720_211137-01-01-01.jpeg
    20190720_211137-01-01-01.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2019-07-22-20-47-11(1)-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_2019-07-22-20-47-11(1)-01.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 61

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using LED's for that effect, the 10K effect, is fueling hundreds and hundreds of GHA challenge reefs, though 10K metal halides might not be as bad it was still common to see gha tufting under nonblue light

for running my kessils are 100% blue.

for pics, 10%

in every case of GHA rework we do, after killing algae and cleaning out detritus, last step is bluing the lights and lowering whites.
I take issue with this whole statement. Lighting does not cause GHA. Nutrients cause algae growth. Now the color may bring it to a head, but it's it's not the underlying issue.
Scrubbing and ripping tanks apart isn't the cure all either. You can't get every bad thing out of a tank. It stays there waiting for it's opportunity to thrive. When it's right it thrives. When it's not it stays in the backround waiting for it's opportunity.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be easy to grow gha in your reef right now just by shining a 6k metal halide on it, up close, regardless of your params or anti algae controls.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also

Post for us links where you fixed algae in someone else's tank and logged the results, without rip cleaning. I think we are up to several hundred working examples linkable instantly, with feedback and live chats too.

owning an algae free reef, ideal part of the bell curve, gives one the impression it’s easy to communicate and repeat for others so link some.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post for us links where you fixed algae in someone else's tank and logged the results, without rip cleaning. I think we are up to several hundred working examples linkable instantly, with feedback and live chats too.
Don't actually think I can recall a single example, here on R2R at least, where somebody correlated 10/6.5 K lighting to an exacerbated hair algae problem. Since they are so easily linked, could you do so as I would be interested. I have recently setup a mangrove tank with 6,500 K LED lighting and am curious as to whether I will have a problem.

FWIW, putting any kind of strong lighting up close will likely cause an algae problem ... whether 6.5, 10 or even 20K. I experienced this to my chagrin in a frag tank (note to self: raise the lights).

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent

add the mh and shine it right on a running reef tank down low, intense, with nutrients and fish and corals in tow. same top lights etc. add the mh and fan it if needed for heat. Valid experiment.

its very correlated in the world of work thread dialogue it’s not a surprise that single examples haven’t seen the claim in action, we aren’t necessarily talking about the same thing but I welcome the experiment.

I’m talking about what works for controlling algae in thousands of logged jobs

The claim is debatable, but for context debate it with numbers and patterns from a link we can eval with no summary. Show how a claim is repeatable in more than one tank, to me that’s the only convincing way.

when fixing someone’s algae issue online and asking for follow up, growback influencing designs stand out and bright white lights are implicated in our patterns imo

Last edited:

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run AB+ With XR-15 pros...hybrid lighting, but I use 2 coral plus and 2 blue plus T5s to get a much more white tank during daytime. I love the brighter look. I think it shows the subtleties much better.

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with this hobby is there are no 40k lights. I run from the 20k to 9k to 20k daily.

8-9am 20k LED
9 T5s pop on (coral plus, blue plus)
10-11 LEDs ramp from 20k to 8kish
11-2 LEDs stay at 8.
2-6 White, Red, green channels ramp to 0
3:30 T5s off
6-11pm Leds drop get progressively bluer until off.

At the end of the day, some coral's beauty is brought out at various spectrums. Ramping across each allows you to appreciate all of them. For instance, LA Lakers turbinara looks amazing from 9-12k of so. Then it loses polyp colors. Then it disappears at 18k or so.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the daylight with a hint of blue I only turn my blue only on when I wanna see the neon colors.

Attachments

• 20210302_192759.jpg
    20210302_192759.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 59

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neil, we know you won’t be getting any links that show works we can peel through at the same time. Always a helpful contributor

its neat how those with certain ideas of what works and doesn’t work for algae control spend this much time researching and studying patterns, its the commitment that stands out best.

even if the cause / effect stated above is wrong, it’d be great just to see something sincere you undertook in the matter. From your logs we can check for patterns maybe you’ve missed, but mainly searching for sincerity/ any contributions above your own reef.

Last edited:

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent

add the mh and shine it right on a running reef tank down low, intense, with nutrients and fish and corals in tow. same top lights etc. add the mh and fan it if needed for heat. Valid experiment.

its very correlated in the world of work thread dialogue it’s not a surprise that single examples haven’t seen the claim in action, we aren’t necessarily talking about the same thing but I welcome the experiment.

I’m talking about what works for controlling algae in thousands of logged jobs

The claim is debatable, but for context debate it with numbers and patterns from a link we can eval with no summary. Show how a claim is repeatable in more than one tank, to me that’s the only convincing way.

when fixing someone’s algae issue online and asking for follow up, growback influencing designs stand out and bright white lights are implicated in our patterns imo
In any case, not worried about it, my cleanup crew consists of 6 tangs and a foxface. They demolish any vegetative matter whatsoever. I do have a few stray snails and hermits, but the fish do most of the work.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarco that’s how nature aligns it too, nice balance. I remember your tank from other posts it’s well done and diverse for sure.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neil, we know you won’t be getting any links that show works we can peel through at the same time. Always a helpful contributor

its neat how those with certain ideas of what works and doesn’t work for algae control spend this much time researching and studying patterns, its the commitment that stands out best.

even if the cause / effect stated above is wrong, it’d be great just to see something sincere you undertook in the matter. From your logs we can check for patterns maybe you’ve missed.
The issue I have with your ‘work threads’ is, frankly, your syntax. It is extremely hard to parse exactly what you are trying to say most of the time, and the rest of the time you say stuff with absolutely zero actual data, such as the link between LED and GHA that you propose here, and that calore also brought up a couple posts ago.

I mean no disrespect, but as a life long academic scientist, I kinda think it’s funny at the attempts in your threads to sound scientific, while playing science, but changing so many variables at once.
I wouldn’t even presume that I could control a complex biome like a reef tank to the point where I would make as definitive claims as you do. You may be seeing positive results in GHA etc, and other things in your ‘sand washing work threads’ but there is zero consideration for what doing those things affects on a ‘global’ tank scale. Yes- you got clean sand- you also kicked up and released more silica, leading to diatoms, you destroyed the niche balance that prevents more serious issues (note the several people in your thread mentioning they got amphodinium after doing your ‘protocol’, which only gets them admonished that they ‘did something wrong’) and just because you meet your primary endpoint- clean sand, no GHA- you call it a success but don’t appreciate that other issues are coming to the fore

I don’t do reefing full time. Up until 2 years ago- I ran an Ivy League bio lab developing viral vaccines and gene therapies. I know science, I understand controls. I know how to keep proper scientific records. Now- mainly due to the pandemic- I’m a SAHD dad to two toddlers out of daycare and I’m homeschooling. I also just moved house. I don’t have the time, nor, frankly, the inclination to get into scientific type debates with unqualified people as part of a hobby.

I don’t keep detailed ‘logs’ of all the things I do to my tank- and I’d be willing to bet the logs you keep are deficient in most of the factors that would make parsing out the happenings of a Complex ecosystem like a tank. Anecdotal observations are fine, but you try to give your threads an air of scientific legitimacy that I find a little beyond the pale.

anyway- this appears to have turned into a rant. Wasn’t my intention. But I didn’t appreciate the tone of calling me out to share my ‘notes’ and the sarcasm behind ‘always a helpful contributor’. That was uncalled for. I contribute where I can to the extent that a 20 year hobby in reefing and 2 advanced degrees in microbiology allow me to. I don’t profess to have ‘work threads’ or play ‘fake science’ with my, or anyone else’s, tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back