Anyone still prefer the 10K look, or even 6.5K? What's with all the windex colored tanks?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP here, I figure an updated tank pic is due. My sand remains unwashed and my spectrum is still in the 10k range. I like lots of PAR and PUR. To each his/her own, live and let live.
IMG_0417.jpeg
Beautiful. What’s your blue/white percentages here?

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sure turned out different than I thought.
I really like the 10K/6500K look. Maybe because that's what I used on my first tank. T 8 cool whites I stole out of the storeroom closet in my dorm. I really thought that's what we were talking about here.
Sorry guys I've been doing this for almost 40 years and I still know nothing nor does my tank look anything like the beauty I see on here.
Awesome beauty with some of these tanks.
I'm not very scientific.
Not very smart.
I was hoping there was something here that made me feel smart or maybe I could identify with. Anyways:
75 gallon.
2 coral plus, 2 blue plus and full sun for 6 hours a day.
That's real shimmer.
I live in north idaho and will rotate in both 10K and 6500K and also a Fluval aquasky depending on the time of the year. My tank is across from a window.
This is my science. My fun. Simple I guess.
Also have a 20 gallon in the same system. Same lighting, and my LTA loves the sun.
Algae does too but oh well.
I clean a lot. It's my Zen.
I have never run LEDs.
Peace.
Joel

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. So because I disagree, I have issues and need to disconnect?

no thanks. I’ve seen what disengagement due to not being part of the in crowd results in. Y’all can keep the cult back-slapping going, but I’m not going to not argue against flawed logic or untrue statements

And he doesn’t bother me on a personal level. I don’t know him. But I’ve spent 25 years fighting against bad science, and the parallels I’ve seen doing that, and the stuff that ROUTINELY comes up in his threads is astonishing.

Well my bad, it felt like you were targeting the dude but based on your comment I guess you guys have history of disagreements. I have a bad habit of ignoring usernames on forums and just reading posts. "Bad science" describes like 80% of the products on this industry. :)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my bad, it felt like you were targeting the dude but based on your comment I guess you guys have history of disagreements. I have a bad habit of ignoring usernames on forums and just reading posts. "Bad science" describes like 80% of the products on this industry. :)
No history of ‘disagreements’ but I’m not denying I’ve been in several of his threads and voiced concerns, only to be shut down. I also didn’t appreciate the way an innocuous ‘kelvin’ thread turned into an advertisement for his ‘work thread’ and had non-verifiable science sounding concepts in it that I’ve seen trip up new tank owners in the past

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never shut anyone down, and disagreements evolve our hobby they’re good for science. I have too many work jobs in messages and on posts to go back and forth on theory battles too long, so I let folks state their peace and then I move on to collecting actual outcomes so we can find patterns for use later.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never shut anyone down, and disagreements evolve our hobby they’re good for science. I have too many work jobs in messages and on posts to go back and forth on theory battles too long, so I let folks state their peace and then I move on to collecting actual outcomes so we can find patterns for use later.
I’ve seen your ‘followers’ admonish and embarrass at least three new reefers who followed your ‘protocol’ on a new tank only to end up with serious problems, and to be told they did something wrong. Ive been the recipient of several long screed replies that contained partly non-sensical and irrelevant content, something that I can only describe as a ‘filibuster’ attempt to head off further comments.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then I hope you gain personal strength from enduring that, those rascals.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they using bad English or bad science

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they using bad English or bad science, that’s two different offenses, only one I care bout

this can be your one link, post the screed they rambled. I hope it was a nitrite duel
This is exactly what I’m talking about...

It can be my ‘one’ link? Thanks for the permission.

but I don’t have time to dredge through year old posts.

you ‘hope’ it was a nitrite duel? You ‘want’ to argue? Lol, no thanks

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they using bad English or bad science

this can be your one link, post the screed they rambled. I hope it was a nitrite duel
Why are you even still in this thread? You’ve hawked out your blue light theory, some people have objections- you can leave now.

Maybe start a ‘I got called out on my bs work thread’

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live the whiter look way better but right now I turned down my whites as I’m fighting a little bit of a algae bloom

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live the whiter look way better but right now I turned down my whites as I’m fighting a little bit of a algae bloom
Find where the nutrients are coming from and sort that out first. If you don’t- you’ll be stuck at your current ‘low white’ level pretty much permanently. It’ll just come back once you turn them up again

I run a ‘daylight’ tank between 8am and 6pm, and haven’t had algae in years. Nutrients are the more pressing issue, particularly if YOU want to dictate what the spectrum is, and not let a ‘pest’ algae dictate for you

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neil we gotta chill they only want to show pics of excellent tanks here. If you don’t like my science ignore it. If I can be sure you and lady tang are watching out for my syntax it’ll elevate me to write more better, I thank you for the heads up.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find where the nutrients are coming from and sort that out first. If you don’t- you’ll be stuck at your current ‘low white’ level pretty much permanently. It’ll just come back once you turn them up again

I run a ‘daylight’ tank between 8am and 6pm, and haven’t had algae in years. Nutrients are the more pressing issue, particularly if YOU want to dictate what the spectrum is, and not let a ‘pest’ algae dictate for you
I think my problems is I’m bottomed out on po4 and no3 and that’s befor I had algae problems

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my problems is I’m bottomed out on po4 and no3 and that’s befor I had algae problems
You can’t get algae without food. The zero you are measuring is because the algae is consuming it.
Only way to tell is to stop excess feeding, making sure nothing hits the bottom and wait a couple weeks. Your corals are going to take a hit when the nutrients truly bottom out, then you can make them happy by dosing nitrate and phosphate or adding slightly more food. Takes a while to get the balance correct.

Algae can grow with low light if there are nutrients. They can’t grow with bright light if there are no nutrients. Go for the limiting factor.

Back