Anyone switched from Gen 4 Pro XR30’s to Orphek Icons?

epleeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am currently running a Geismann Hybrid fixture with 3 XR30 Gen 4 Pro’s with 4x80 watt bluebulbs over my 200 gallon SPS dominate tank. I have been seriously considering switching to the Orphek Icon’s.

Has anyone here made that switch? Are if so, are you happy with the switch?

Im not sure if I will mount them in the hybrid fixture and keep the T5 or just run the 2 Orpheks with some OR3 bars.

I am also running the AB+ schedule at 70% intensity which is actually only 50% when you look at the graphing on EcoSmart live.

i know the orpheks have way more PAR so I don’t want to shock my corals if I do make the switch.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can bump the thread for you to see if we can get some help

OP
OP
E

epleeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Appreciate it. I’m surprised there isn’t much out there on these lights. I know they are new, but I’m sure many people are running them.

tinkwithanr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my icons set up above my 40 breeder (for now). Similar to your setup, I was running 2 XR15's and the aquatic life t5 hybrid fixture.

There is definitely more shimmer without the t5's, so if you want the flatter look you will probably want to keep them. Overall I like the color and the spread, but I'm not sure I've got the channels dailed in where I want them just yet. I'd like to mimic the AB+ spectrium I was running with the ecotechs. I just haven't been able to find that much documentation on it yet.

It does seem like a very well made light, and the setup was pretty straightforward. I do wish there was an option for programming that wasn't just a phone app, as the sliders and setup buttons are pretty small. But once it is setup you don't need to change it much, so it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Definitely get/rent a par meter for the setup. They have some real power.

OP
OP
E

epleeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks for everyone who responded. Anybody else have some insight on these lights? Getting ready to pull the trigger and want to make sure im not going to regret it

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for everyone who responded. Anybody else have some insight on these lights? Getting ready to pull the trigger and want to make sure im not going to regret it
You won't regret it. I have the version before the icons and am so happy. I was never a fan of radions. You will really enjoy the new icons, better control and better cooling system. I can't say much on color. It seems to be more blue based on diodes but I'm sure it can be whiter as well. They are par monsters though. Be careful, they will burn corals

OP
OP
E

epleeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Appreciate the response. I pulled the trigger last night and ordered two icons. I’m hoping they fit into my geismann stellar hybrid fixture. I don’t like the look of the universal Orphek brackets.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response. I pulled the trigger last night and ordered two icons. I’m hoping they fit into my geismann stellar hybrid fixture. I don’t like the look of the universal Orphek brackets.
That will look amazing

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had a chance to set them up yet? How do you like them?

OP
OP
E

epleeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not yet. Just got a PAR meter from a friend and took measurements today so I know where I’m at. Will probably make the switch this weekend. But need to watch some videos on how to program these orpheks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back