Anyone trying to create cloud cover with their t5s?

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen a lot of talk about the benefits of emulating cloud cover with LEDs but was thinking about turning off 6 of my 8 bulbs a couple times a day with my apex. Anyone do this and can share the apex code?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personaly I dont feel that cloud emulation does anything one way or the other for corals. T5s and MHs that are used for decades never had any of the fancy functions like cloud coverage, and corals grew and prospered without issues. It was only after these high end LEDs with all their functions came around that people started thinking they make a difference. Thunder and lightning emulation? Give me a break lol.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CVRLE1 Way back in the day I ran my metal halides on a light rail system . One 400 watt over the tank .Tank is 8 foot long by 4 feet wide . SPS grew just as well . Led weren't the first to come up with this idea. No extra supplement lighting was added .

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personaly I dont feel that cloud emulation does anything one way or the other for corals. T5s and MHs that are used for decades never had any of the fancy functions like cloud coverage, and corals grew and prospered without issues. It was only after these high end LEDs with all their functions came around that people started thinking they make a difference. Thunder and lightning emulation? Give me a break lol.

Just because things have worked well for a long time doesnt mean that theres anything wrong with experimenting with new ideas and technologies imo.

CVRLE1 Way back in the day I ran my metal halides on a light rail system . One 400 watt over the tank .Tank is 8 foot long by 4 feet wide . SPS grew just as well . Led weren't the first to come up with this idea. No extra supplement lighting was added .

Yeah I remember this at quite a few coral farms back in the day. I think AquaSD used to do it when I visited them around 10-12 years ago. I didnt mean to say its a whole new idea its just more relevant in my mind at the moment because of the LED guys trying it out currently.

The key is cloud cover won’t work without the lighting emulation so the t5 won’t work ;)

Are you saying the LEDs are literally emulating what light waves make it through clouds in the sky? Unless its been proven that its not as simple as giving the corals less intensity throughout the day I dont see why it couldnt work with dimmable t5 or turning off some of the channels. The guy above made a good point about light rails in the past. Would love to know if its more than just an intensity of light that matters. Guess I need to look into it more.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Science has shown chlorophyll cycles in corals are pretty much a linear bucket. Doesnt matter how much you fiddle with light levels it all equals the same time/intensity ratio before the coral is saturated.

Just another gimmick so nubs running softie and LPS tanks with $800 lights feel smarter than SPS wranglers using $100 black boxes and lamp timers.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunny days and calm seas forever :rolleyes:

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Science has shown chlorophyll cycles in corals are pretty much a linear bucket. Doesnt matter how much you fiddle with light levels it all equals the same time/intensity ratio before the coral is saturated.

Just another gimmick so nubs running softie and LPS tanks with $800 lights feel smarter than SPS wranglers using $100 black boxes and lamp timers.
What kind of setup do you run?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea me too. I agree with blasterman in that all the research I have seen has pointed towards the only issue being the saturation point no matter how you get there. I don’t see how fiddling with levels will help and don’t think it will change the point of saturation either. Honestly I don’t think saturation is something many reefers need to be concerned with if any.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would say halides on a light rail were geared towards coverage issues and no one was thinking about “cloud coverage” back then. At least I wasn’t...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back