Anyone use an Avast autofeeder with Profilux?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure out a way to turn on the feeder for 30 seconds 8 times during the day. Is a minute the smallest time increment I can on/off something?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First set the timer switch mode to short mode. And then you can set it for 30 seconds. You would then add your 8 times each for 30 seconds. Then assign the timer to the power bar. Hope this helps :)

F6C3B20A-0ACF-47C8-A4D3-4C018BAB8B52.png A903C7C5-E41A-4A9D-AEE1-2430EF88555D.png

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow, that’s awesome, I had no idea that was an option! I fudged mine by setting it as a dosing pump with a rate of 60 mL/min and then setting the feed amounts to the number of mL that corresponds to the number of seconds I wanted. Your way is cleaner.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow, that’s awesome, I had no idea that was an option! I fudged mine by setting it as a dosing pump with a rate of 60 mL/min and then setting the feed amounts to the number of mL that corresponds to the number of seconds I wanted. Your way is cleaner.

I also used this method. You learn something new everyday! I'm just too lazy to switch.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 1 second timer for a socket that "triggers" my eheim feeder.

Timer 1 is
1614310145558.png

Once triggered the eheim uses the batteries to complete the drum rotation.

Doing it this way allows me to remote trigger a feed if I want

The socket is setup like this
1614310290823.png

Programmable logic 3 is

1614310349694.png

Programmable logic 2 is

1614310522607.png

where "Filter 2" is Feed Mode 2 (not sure why GHL can't seem to either use custom labels or at least make naming consistent).

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those people that use a auto feeder with im assuming Pellets.. what do you do ..... turn off all pumps so they dont go in overflow and float around.. or have a feeding ring so they float in a ring until they sink???? my fish dont eat pellets i wish they did.....

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those people that use a auto feeder with im assuming Pellets.. what do you do ..... turn off all pumps so they dont go in overflow and float around.. or have a feeding ring so they float in a ring until they sink???? my fish dont eat pellets i wish they did.....
I leave all the pumps running - the feeder is at one end of a 8' tank and very little (if any) makes it to the other end anyway.

Maybe not a bad idea to look at reducing the flow using a "maint mode" filter???? Not sure how to do this.

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just leave everything on and have a mix of different freeze dried stuff in there. Works great, very little gets in the overflow. The output of the plank is right next to a powerhead so food gets nicely distributed.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just leave everything on and have a mix of different freeze dried stuff in there. Works great, very little gets in the overflow. The output of the plank is right next to a powerhead so food gets nicely distributed.
Freeze dried better than pellets? It sinks immediately. It doesn't float like pellets? I tried a test pellet or two in my tank. Dropped em in and they just float at top and then make their way to my overflow lol. Fish don't even see it

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever drop freeze dried in a ring so it just sits floating until it finally drops?? I'm trying to find a alternate route of feeding fish while on vaca. Lrs frozen works daily but if I'm gone 10 days. I'm counting on house sitters but I'd love to have a auto feeder. Except I tried putting like 4 pellets in a ring on top of tank and all 7 fish ignore them and they sink to barebottom and get lost in tank lol. Divas.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever drop freeze dried in a ring so it just sits floating until it finally drops?? I'm trying to find a alternate route of feeding fish while on vaca. Lrs frozen works daily but if I'm gone 10 days. I'm counting on house sitters but I'd love to have a auto feeder. Except I tried putting like 4 pellets in a ring on top of tank and all 7 fish ignore them and they sink to barebottom and get lost in tank lol. Divas.
I use New Life Spectrum pellets (https://www.feedspectrum.com/products/nlsmarinefish) in an eheim feeder. It's a very easy DIY to convert the ehiem to work on the Profilux (if you want to be able to trigger a feed using a maint mode or feed mode button).

DIY for eheim is http://www.swfmas.com/forum/index.php?/topic/12012-diy-externally-controlled-auto-feeder

For the cable I just cut the end off a USB cable. After separating the exposed wires plug the USB into a wall adaptor and turn it on. You should be able to figure out positive and negative easily enough (and are only dealing with 5v and a super low amperage). Then use these wires accordingly to solder to the ehiem.

Plug the wall adaptor into a powerbar socket and program as above.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is eheim consistent drop. I might do that as avast is pricey but I want to make a 3d mount to mount feeder on aquatic life t5 hrbid fixture so it drops it in middle of tank in a ring. Or if I splurge and get avast. Maybe somehow mount on fixture and extend tube down to the water

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it pretty good - although I have never weighed each rotation. Without hooking it up to the Profilux you can program for up to 4 drops each day (and whatever times you want) - and each time can have 1 or 2 rotations

OP
OP
K

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my autofeeder in the return portion of the sump. I also have a powerhead in there to make sure nothing settles down.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it pretty good - although I have never weighed each rotation. Without hooking it up to the Profilux you can program for up to 4 drops each day (and whatever times you want) - and each time can have 1 or 2 rotations
I'd have to hook it up because I want my powerheads off probably

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back