Anyone use Caribsea south seas base rock?

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this rock on all of the major aquarium sites but without any newer reviews on them. Most of the places have it for about 60.00 for 40lbs. Is the price tag an indication of the type of rock? Does this compare well to marcos rock?

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Companies claims

• Aragonitic base rock requires no curing and will not cause pH spikes
  • Eco and budget friendly alternative to wild live rock
  • Infused with spored bacteria to help proliferate beneficial bacteria
Price Point seems a little low..... take that as you will, might lack quality.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Caribsea liferock is awesome! It stays purple until you develope coralline. It looks pretty close to the real rock in my tank. I've seen the cheaper stuff at my LFS. It looks like the piece of plywood that a Mason throws his extra mortar on at the end of the day. I would look at it before I bought it because it ain't going to be cheap to send it back!

Always remember... buy it cheap buy it twice! As well as You get what you pay for when paying retail.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use it in my tanks, and its good i guess? never used anything else so i have nothing to compare it to.

a bit dusty so you should probably wash it well.

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the rock and was very satisfied with the product. The rocks were cut very thin and worked as a perfect foundation to build on. I didn't really notice a lot of dust/powder on the rock as I did not rinse it. The price is really unbeatable and next to the Marco rock I used on top of it I would say they were very close to the same quality and porosity.

I used Marco rock on my scape only because it came with the tank when I bought it and would probably purchase all Carib sea south seas rock for my next project mainly because of the price.

The third picture is a comparison of marco rock and the south seas base rock. Overall very happy with the rock!!

20200429_161851.jpg 20200429_161859.jpg 20200429_161922.jpg 20200429_203727.jpg

scubagal8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the rock and was very satisfied with the product. The rocks were cut very thin and worked as a perfect foundation to build on. I didn't really notice a lot of dust/powder on the rock as I did not rinse it. The price is really unbeatable and next to the Marco rock I used on top of it I would say they were very close to the same quality and porosity.

I used Marco rock on my scape only because it came with the tank when I bought it and would probably purchase all Carib sea south seas rock for my next project mainly because of the price.

The third picture is a comparison of marco rock and the south seas base rock. Overall very happy with the rock!!

I like what you made. How much rock did it take to create them?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s exactly what i used in my tank and I’m really happy with it. It’s a lot like the BRS Reef Saver Rock. It’s super easy to stack and it looks great. I’ve also read that it has more surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize than a lot of other similar brands. The only thing I’d say about it is that it’s super dusty so if you plan to use it give it a thorough rinse before sticking it in your tank.

I have a fifty gallon tank and wasn’t able to fit the full 40 lbs in. You really do get a lot for the money.

here’s a pic of what it looked like before the water and sand went in.

9B49C5E5-34AB-4BAC-9833-B3914B642612.jpeg

scubagal8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! Well, I already bought 60 lbs of that previously live rock. Where can I find the links to the Marco rock and carib sea rock?

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

scubagal8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask your opinion. I got a 125 gal tank and it'll be fish only (unless there's coral that can survive with the fluvial aqua sky lights I bought) We dive and love coral, so I bought these decorations to go with my aquascape rock. do you think it'll look cheesy, or pollute my water?

possible coral choices.jpg

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask your opinion. I got a 125 gal tank and it'll be fish only (unless there's coral that can survive with the fluvial aqua sky lights I bought) We dive and love coral, so I bought these decorations to go with my aquascape rock. do you think it'll look cheesy, or pollute my water?

possible coral choices.jpg
For a fish only tank I think it would look fine!! You may be able to get away with some soft corals with that lighting, but I would have to check the specs and see.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haven't found much reading on this south sea rock except for your post here.

I see that you mixed marco with it and made comment that you would have probably gone all south...

How is the weight/density of this rock compared to the marco? Can't find marco locally, but I can south sea rock. I'm looking to build more intricate structures and intend to break up and re-glue pieces as typical with marco. Are these about the same weight/density for such or more of a 'stacking rock'. Thanks!

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't found much reading on this south sea rock except for your post here.

I see that you mixed marco with it and made comment that you would have probably gone all south...

How is the weight/density of this rock compared to the marco? Can't find marco locally, but I can south sea rock. I'm looking to build more intricate structures and intend to break up and re-glue pieces as typical with marco. Are these about the same weight/density for such or more of a 'stacking rock'. Thanks!

Replying to my own response to share that I did use the caribsea south in an structure. Worked fine and the density seemed similar to the marco rock that I had on hand. It will vary by individual rock, but wouldn't say one is heavier or more dense especially when you're breaking it down anyways. However I didn't use the marco cement. Instead used reef putty in the major joints and allowed it to dry overnight. Proved strong enough that I could flip it over on its top. Then went back with superglue, sand and loose rubble on the undersides of each joint as well. All worked very well and entire structure was solid especially given the large size of my structure. I think the key is really the loose rubble and sand on the underside. I also went with the medium thickness instead of thin glue. Couldn't buy thin in a larger 8oz so went with medium. Turned out thinner than I expected so overall good. I had to cover some of the visible putty, but overall looks great to me. Will in fact make another for the other side of the 6' tank. This thing is going into a mature tank so don't want to disturb the tank too much so may wait a few months first.

TIP and WARNING: Make sure you use gloves. I literally went through 5-8 pairs on my structure b/c of the glue sticking the glove ripping... and with the chemical burn with the bonding reaction. Very surprising how it burned as hot as it did. Success!

IMG-6095.jpg

Saltysav96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replying to my own response to share that I did use the caribsea south in an structure. Worked fine and the density seemed similar to the marco rock that I had on hand. It will vary by individual rock, but wouldn't say one is heavier or more dense especially when you're breaking it down anyways. However I didn't use the marco cement. Instead used reef putty in the major joints and allowed it to dry overnight. Proved strong enough that I could flip it over on its top. Then went back with superglue, sand and loose rubble on the undersides of each joint as well. All worked very well and entire structure was solid especially given the large size of my structure. I think the key is really the loose rubble and sand on the underside. I also went with the medium thickness instead of thin glue. Couldn't buy thin in a larger 8oz so went with medium. Turned out thinner than I expected so overall good. I had to cover some of the visible putty, but overall looks great to me. Will in fact make another for the other side of the 6' tank. This thing is going into a mature tank so don't want to disturb the tank too much so may wait a few months first.

TIP and WARNING: Make sure you use gloves. I literally went through 5-8 pairs on my structure b/c of the glue sticking the glove ripping... and with the chemical burn with the bonding reaction. Very surprising how it burned as hot as it did. Success!

IMG-6095.jpg
any new update on the rock? how are you liking it still?
i am looking at getting some to swap out some caribsea life rock that i think is leaching .
one of my LFS Highly recommends the south seas.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still in the tank and has matured nicely. All the white surface is gone and there are plenty of holes to jam frags into. No issues from it today and I will do it again for the other 3' half of the tank in a few months.

I would make sure to use a flat base rock on the bottom side of the structure if your structure is large to help the stability.

BOOSTEDJAYY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would i be fine it directly to my tank (has 2 clowns in it) after rinsing it with ro water or would i have to go through the curing process.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat it as dry rock so seed accordingly. Doesn’t need to cure bc no die off from the rock, but will need to keep up with the bio load.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back