Anyone use the FL!PPER Platinum Credit Card Aquarium Algae Scraper?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS mentioned the FL!PPER Platinum Credit Card Aquarium Algae Scraper to me, does it work effectively? I already have the Tunze Long which I use on the front and side glass of my Reefer 250 but need a long handled scraper for the back wall. I liked the idea of putting my old credit cards to use. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/FL-PPER-Platinum-Aquarium-Scraper/dp/B07J5F8ZCK

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was a weird bot post, as I use the Flipper Magnetic glass cleaners on all my tanks...

This, in theory, looks fine, however the plastic scrapers do not do a very good job and are time consuming for large glass surfaces. Even the metal scrapers on a wand take way too long if you were to use them on the entire glass surface. It would likely be faster to use the credit card and stick your arm in the tank (although more tiring). Spending the extra cash on a reversible magnetic cleaner is well worth it.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was a weird bot post, as I use the Flipper Magnetic glass cleaners on all my tanks...

This, in theory, looks fine, however the plastic scrapers do not do a very good job and are time consuming for large glass surfaces. Even the metal scrapers on a wand take way too long if you were to use them on the entire glass surface. It would likely be faster to use the credit card and stick your arm in the tank (although more tiring). Spending the extra cash on a reversible magnetic cleaner is well worth it.

As mentioned I would only use this for the back wall and not the front and side glass. I would like to avoid sticking my arm into the tank if possible plus if it has a long handle it might make it easier to maneuver in the narrow spaces behind my rocks.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned I would only use this for the back wall and not the front and side glass. I would like to avoid sticking my arm into the tank if possible plus if it has a long handle it might make it easier to maneuver in the narrow spaces behind my rocks.

Right, not enough coffee yet... The magnetic ones don't usually work through walls... I guess it would depend what you are going to clean off. It might work fine for light glass algae, but wouldn't work for coraline.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, not enough coffee yet... The magnetic ones don't usually work through walls... I guess it would depend what you are going to clean off. It might work fine for light glass algae, but wouldn't work for coraline.

I already had 2 cups of espresso which is why I posted this topic! ;)
Most credit cards are pretty sturdy so I was hoping that someone has used it before and would recommend it.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of those with 10 blades refill cheap on amazon. Works really good for the back wall on my Red Sea.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't use your old credit cards? o_O

Oh nope. I should’ve mentioned I didn’t buy the flipper. I don’t see how credit cards would on the algae I had on the back wall. You’d need straight up razor blades for them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back