Anyone want to help with some ideas on a cube sump?

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pulling apart an old sump thats 19x17" and I want to redesign it. My initial idea is to circular flow through the sump instead of from one side to the other. This may be too advanced for the size but want to give it a shot.

What do you guys think about these ideas?

Xc5tRIo.png

z46XjV3.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the second picture. My uncle did something similar with a cube aquarium. He wasn't running a fuge though, but he divided it up into four chambers, his layout was basically filter sock to biopellet reactor to skimmer to return chamber.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the second picture. My uncle did something similar with a cube aquarium. He wasn't running a fuge though, but he divided it up into four chambers, his layout was basically filter sock to biopellet reactor to skimmer to return chamber.
leaning towards that one too. Only interesting part will be lighting a long narrow refugium.

Is this going to be way too complicated as far as doing the baffles? Im trying to wrap my head around what the baffles will look like.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the second idea also I’ve done something very similar in mine. If you wish could share my drawing

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leaning towards that one too. Only interesting part will be lighting a long narrow refugium.

Is this going to be way too complicated as far as doing the baffles? Im trying to wrap my head around what the baffles will look like.
You can get panel or strip lights with the spectrum a refugium needs. My uncle basically took plexiglass and had the water fall over and go under as needed. I wish he still had it i'd share pics, but he moved and when he did he retired the sump and bought a Trigger emerald sump.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a vid of mine

Was a glass sump with acrylic baffles 6 stages

1. Drain/silencer
2. Polyfilter/sock
3. Refugium
4. Skimmer with adjustable baffle for optimal high for the skimmer
5. Media
6. Return pump

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a vid of mine

1. Drain/silencer
2. Polyfilter/sock
3. Refugium
5. Media
6. Return pump

wow thats awesome. How'd you do some of those 90 angles? Is that possible with a regular glass cutter? If you could post some more detailed pics Id really appreciate it!

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get panel or strip lights with the spectrum a refugium needs. My uncle basically took plexiglass and had the water fall over and go under as needed. I wish he still had it i'd share pics, but he moved and when he did he retired the sump and bought a Trigger emerald sump.
yeah strip lighting might be the best option. Thanks

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a vid of mine

1. Drain/silencer
2. Polyfilter/sock
3. Refugium
5. Media
6. Return pump

says acrylic + glass sump. Is the middle divider acrylic where you drilled the holes?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
says acrylic + glass sump. Is the middle divider acrylic where you drilled the holes?

Yeah all the inside is acrylic, as it’s easier to play with drilling, cutting and gluing. For the silicone I’ve made a test with 4 different silicones and found one that was really good. The way it’s made the seal is never in pressure also as the refugium is the higher water level. Also the adjustable baffle won’t be possible to do in glass only acrylic. Is working fine just about to do 3 years and still going strong

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah all the inside is acrylic, as it’s easier to play with drilling, cutting and gluing. For the silicone I’ve made a test with 4 different silicones and found one that was really good. The way it’s made the seal is never in pressure also as the refugium is the higher water level. Also the adjustable baffle won’t be possible to do in glass only acrylic. Is working fine just about to do 3 years and still going strong
its certainly more complicated than what I was shooting for but it looks so good. If I cant figure out a good glass design I guess I'll be doing something similar to you.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so after looking at it again I've got these two layouts to choose from. Are either of these return pump and ato sections too small? Now I think Im leaning towards the second one for an even bigger refugium. I want to do miracle mud and possible a marinepure type block.

Lp7a2f5.png

7MTAYIz.png

Back