Anyone wants to educate me about overflow box? Dumb question awaits you inside.

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many moons ago i had a 125g tank with an external overflow that occasionally flooded my apt. Do the newer ones have the same inherent flaws? Do they need to be manually primed? Should i just go ahead bite the bullet and cough up the $ to have a tank drilled(RR)?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'll try and take a shot at this.

There isn't a new vs. old design for the flooding. There are designs where if the siphon breaks (likely in your case), when the water starts flowing again, it will back up and flood. Others are self priming and don't suffer from the same design flaw. One of the more successful designs that has a very very low probability of flooding is actually a design from two to three decades ago :)

In general, having a drilled tank will always be the safer option and is what is reccomended. However, if that's not possible, then getting one of the better overflows is reccomended that protects not only from interuptions in flow (such a power outtage), but can't flood if a snail or clump of algae gets stuck in the overflow (having redundancy in design such as herbie style overflows).

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having come from the old days with a CPR hang on where I was too skeered to drill my tank and as a result counted on a good soaking once a year... There are better options. First is, drilling glass isn't hard, assuming your panel isn't tempered. If drilling your current tank isn't an option, stop and weigh your commitment to the hobby. I think a drilled tank is essential for long term success in a reef tank, whether that's the bottom or the back. Pick one you'll never be happier. Once you drill, so many options open up to you. Herbie, durso, bean animal etc... Many of these don't suffer from the problems we did in the old days of hang overs. Regardless, make sure you consider things like return line placement (how much could be siphoned back), extra room in your sump to handle power failure to check valves etc. The current road map is so much better as is the information sharing these days than it used to be.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having come from the old days with a CPR hang on where I was too skeered to drill my tank and as a result counted on a good soaking once a year... There are better options. First is, drilling glass isn't hard, assuming your panel isn't tempered. If drilling your current tank isn't an option, stop and weigh your commitment to the hobby. I think a drilled tank is essential for long term success in a reef tank, whether that's the bottom or the back. Pick one you'll never be happier. Once you drill, so many options open up to you. Herbie, durso, bean animal etc... Many of these don't suffer from the problems we did in the old days of hang overs. Regardless, make sure you consider things like return line placement (how much could be siphoned back), extra room in your sump to handle power failure to check valves etc. The current road map is so much better as is the information sharing these days than it used to be.
Rob, I am treading the same path right now. Can you point me to or list the things I need to consider? I am probably going to get a 40 gal breeder and convert my 20 gal FR to a sump. Sounds like the bean animal is the safest way to go? Thank you!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob, I am treading the same path right now. Can you point me to or list the things I need to consider? I am probably going to get a 40 gal breeder and convert my 20 gal FR to a sump. Sounds like the bean animal is the safest way to go? Thank you!
It's a safe generalization that a good many 40 breeders aren't tempered on the back but don't forage ahead without verifying from your tank manufacture before drilling. That being said, the bean animal is a brilliant design with a couple inherent safeguards but right in. I came from a 40 breeder with a hang over. Now building a large tank drilled for an external overflow using a bean animal. Have you watched any of the new TV videos on overflows, or for that matter any of the many videos out there on this type of overflow? Considerations I can think of are how you are returning water to the tank. Drilled for a bullhead on the back or over the top. Both have merits and considerations. Thru the back is more helpful for DT flow and surface agitation I think. Over the top less so. I think if you're going to commit to drilling for an overflow why not just drill for returns?. My advice for any trepidation on drilling... Go to a hardware store and get a junk piece of glass for next to nothing and drill holes in it using the same hole saw you'll be using on your tank until you go cross eyed or drop great holes. Whichever comes first lol

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For overflows look into modular marine. They have a wide product offering that comes with a drilling template and hole saw

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand tank did you buy?
Mine is an Aqueon from Petco, they say on their website that they aren’t tempered, but I went ahead and checked as well.

I used an Eshopps Eclipse M overflow, wish now that I had done the modular marine instead, the Herbie in the Eshopps is quiet but not necessarily silent. On my next build I will definitely be going the Modular Marine so I can go bean animal.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried something a little different on my 200 gallon... sorry, I don’t really know what phase of build out you are in... based on this question, I am assuming early.

My cabinet is plastic lined... a heavy gauge plastic in the full bottom 8” (the doors on my cabinet hide the height a lil. I tried to build in a modicum of safety for potentional overflows. It won’t save me from a tank rupture, but I am hoping the additional 50ish gallons it will trap Offer a bit of insurance. “Everything you see that’s white“

B6F26EA1-19AD-4846-BF2C-F50E6C2B2C7B.jpeg
0A6DFBB0-0F9C-4C58-B7B8-66E9876D328C.jpeg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried something a little different on my 200 gallon... sorry, I don’t really know what phase of build out you are in... based on this question, I am assuming early.

My cabinet is plastic lined... a heavy gauge plastic in the full bottom 8” (the doors on my cabinet hide the height a lil. I tried to build in a modicum of safety for potentional overflows. It won’t save me from a tank rupture, but I am hoping the additional 50ish gallons it will trap Offer a bit of insurance. “Everything you see that’s white“

The only thing I took out of that was modicum lol. Winner for word of the day! Nice sump btw!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry... scotch is involved and I’m bored : ) ...finally got a trident... almost... it’s on its way : )
I've never been a scotch guy... Glen livit is good but this is definitely the weekend to get your thing on lol. I'm a bourbon guy myself.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been a scotch guy... Glen livit is good but this is definitely the weekend to get your thing on lol. I'm a bourbon guy myself.
Ok, guys, you need to try St. Germaine or at least get a bottle for your wife or girlfriend (if you have one). It comes in a gorgeous bottle and is wonderful straight up. Read about Robert Cooper. His father was the creator of Chambord and he gave the finger to his father to create this liqueur:

Yes, I am planning something close to a 40 breeder (which is actually 48 gal did you know?). I live near Glass Cages and may get them to drill it rather than taking a chance. May buy the tank from them since I don't like the center plastic bars. Any advice on that?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where did you get the plastic and is it loose or installed somehow?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back