Anyone with a Google Pixel 7 Pro that has taken pics of their tank?

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is no filter
Aaah, yours is the same as mine. Well I'm relieved to know it's not my phone exclusively that's the problem. If you see my original post the first pic is my pixel and the second pic is my LG. Excluding the dirty glass which makes it look a little foggy you can see how my LG is giving a proper exposure. As mentioned I don't care about the bluish colour for quick pics, it's the dark exposure with my pixel that bothers me.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into your camera settings and enable the advanced controls;

Screenshot_20230206-111001.png

Then when you tap to focus you can also manually override exposure and white balance settings to get it looking how you want. You can also manually adjust blue tone afterwards in the photo editor, just look for the adjustment tools.
Thanks for this. I had already tried all of these. What I found is that because the entire pic is super dark (almost all one level of darkness) when I try to brighten the exposure then the whole pic becomes super bright (like it's over exposed). I will try playing around with them again. What irks me is that I'm just trying to take quick pics when I see something cool happening in my tank. I'm not trying to correct for colour or anything. My LGG7 works great for this. The pics come out properly exposed. If I have to keep futzing with all of these settings on my pixel to try and get a properly exposed picture I'm going to miss the cool thing I tried to get a picture of in the first place. I wasn't sure if my phone was defective or whether this is a pixel issue. Someone just posted a pic with no adjustments and they have the same issue. At least I know it's not just my phone. Unfortunately my LGG7 is on its last legs which is why I upgraded to this phone because it has macro and a great telephoto which my LGG7 doesn't have.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. Those settings always work for me, but my tank is also in a room that gets quite a bit of natural light. Maybe try the night shooting mode to see if that helps?

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. Those settings always work for me, but my tank is also in a room that gets quite a bit of natural light. Maybe try the night shooting mode to see if that helps?
I tried night sight and everything and no luck. My room also gets a lot of natural light plus I have daylight lights on for my freshwater tanks so it's bright in my living room. What's interesting... If I take a pic of my freshwater tank that sits right next to my reef tank it comes out perfect. No exposure problems at all. Then I take a pic of my reef tank and it's super dark. It's entirely possible with enough tweaking of the settings I can find a suitable exposure but I found no way to save them so if I'm just taking a general shot of my tank then I can take a few minutes to adjust the settings but if I'm grabbing my phone to take a quick pic of something cool going on in my tank then I don't have time to futz with everything. I guess I just expected it to adjust the exposure and balance properly for the blue light like my LG. I have 30 days to return this phone. Now I'm looking into the Samsung S23. The next question I post on here will be "can the Samsung S23 take quick pics that have good exposure and balance?". LOL

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to really struggle taking pictures of a reef tank with a phone without any adjustments. You are asking for a lot.

I am not quite sure why you don't want to just use an orphek lens kit. I would get the phone you want and get a lens kit. It will make any phone able to take pictures. Or just use an reef photo app that will make the adjustments for you.

Clearly its not an equipment issue as others have posted pictures with their pixels...

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the photos on our WYSIWYG section are taken with my Pixel 6 pro if you want to check out some of them. For heavy blues I do use a filter but when we have mix lighting I use the color temperature slider on the left side in camera mode.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to really struggle taking pictures of a reef tank with a phone without any adjustments. You are asking for a lot.

I am not quite sure why you don't want to just use an orphek lens kit. I would get the phone you want and get a lens kit. It will make any phone able to take pictures. Or just use an reef photo app that will make the adjustments for you.

Clearly its not an equipment issue as others have posted pictures with their pixels...
Thanks for this. It's not about colour correction it's about the balance and exposure of the pics with the pixel without filters. Did you see my original post with pics? The first pic is with my pixel and the second pic is with my LGG7. Excluding that my glass was a little dirty so it looks a bit foggy the LGG7 is properly exposed so the picture processing software of the LG is compensating for the blue light. Yes it's still bluish, that's fine but it's properly exposed. The pixel pic looks like I took it at night. Totally under exposed. These were taken together under the same conditions. I have an Orphek kit. This isn't about colour correcting. Often times I just want to take a quick pic when I see something cool going on in my tank. If I have to keep futzing with settings or running to grab my lense kit I'm going to miss the cool thing I wanted to take a pic of. My LGG7 can do quick pics like this. Another member posted a pic without filters and it's super dark like mine. I wasn't sure if my phone was defective. Apparently it isn't. This looks like something with the way the pixel is dealing with blue light when it comes to balance and exposure without filters. If my LG wasn't on its last legs I wouldn't have switched to the pixel and LG has stopped making phones. I just assumed the pixel could do quick pics under blue light like my LG. Apparently it can't. What's interesting is that when I take a pic of my freshwater tank that sits right next to my reef tank those pics come out perfect. This is with no adjustments to any of the settings. Then I take a pic of my reef tank and it's super dark. The tanks are literally right next to each other. I do the same with my LG and the pics of both tanks come out perfectly exposed. The only difference is the reef tank pic looks slightly blue.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have S23 Ultras coming next week. See how they do compared to our S22 Ultras.

Reviews seem promising so far...
That would be great! Thanks. :) I have read really good things about the S23.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be great! Thanks. :) I have read really good things about the S23.

No problem...

Really nothing different on the outside, but seems they just made huge strides with the battery, performance and main camera from the S22 Ultra.

I wasn't going to upgrade, but with the deal Google Fi was giving us and what we are getting for our S22 Ultras, works out to like $150 per phone to upgrade.

Seems worth it...

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem...

Really nothing different on the outside, but seems they just made huge strides with the battery, performance and main camera from the S22 Ultra.

I wasn't going to upgrade, but with the deal Google Fi was giving us and what we are getting for our S22 Ultras, works out to like $150 per phone to upgrade.

Seems worth it...
Wow! That's a deal! It's funny how the ability for our phones to make calls falls to the bottom of the list for features. It's all about the camera or the storage for apps/pics/docs or how fast is the phone's processor is or how long the battery lasts. LOL

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's a deal! It's funny how the ability for our phones to make calls falls to the bottom of the list for features. It's all about the camera or the storage for apps/pics/docs or how fast is the phone's processor is or how long the battery lasts. LOL

I've never even got close to a dead battery on the S22 Ultra. Probably worst was 40% when plugging in at night. So another 30% of improvement is nuts.

Also we're getting 4x the storage of our old S22 Ultras with the S23 Ultras, 128gb to 512gb.

We just had twin girls, so I'm sure my wife will fill it up with pictures and videos lol

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pixel 7 with a yellow clip on filter. Only blue LEDs are on in the pic. The P7 can’t handle blue light at all without a filter. Nothing like the older Pixels.

486C234C-7AE6-41F4-993B-E3190ABAB9DF.jpeg

ygon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pixel 7 with a yellow clip on filter. Only blue LEDs are on in the pic. The P7 can’t handle blue light at all without a filter. Nothing like the older Pixels.

486C234C-7AE6-41F4-993B-E3190ABAB9DF.jpeg
Agreed, went from a pixel 4 to 7 and struggling to get good pictures under blues. The best I've been able to do so far is switch my lights to a whiter spectrum.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife's S23 Ultra showed up, but mine hasn't yet.

So using a Pixel 6 Pro I have for a work project as my daily until Thursday.

It's interesting how similar yet different it is from the S22 Ultra. Haven't tried to take a picture yet, but will lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back