Anyone with a Pillar Aquascape? Post pics!!

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a Pillar Aquascape? Looking for pictures for coral placement, I have this Pillar with selfs on it, looking for ideas on where to place things, looking to do Euph, Zoas, and softies and maybe one birdnest at the top!

1585551578560.png

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the scape....gonna look cool covered in coral. I would use the shelves or bottom for the Euph and attach zoas vertically on all the available space (that isn't shaded) between the ledges.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would google the old MedRed tank ("MedRed reef") will bring it up for sure. It was 3 pillars but it was hands down one the the most stunning tanks of its day -possibly ever. Solid placements and super interesting. It was a serious mixed reef so no matter if you are looking for zoa placements, acans, or SPS there is a section you can copy. -Hope this helps and enjoy looking it over!!

OP
OP
Shawn4455

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice, was wandering if the rocks are connected in any way
The main structure vertically is connected by acrylic sticks (drilled the rock) and then the shelves are siliconed. I had to make braces with BBQ sticks to hold it up while the silicone dried for a few days so I wouldn't have to sit there and hold it haha.

OP
OP
Shawn4455

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would google the old MedRed tank ("MedRed reef") will bring it up for sure. It was 3 pillars but it was hands down one the the most stunning tanks of its day -possibly ever. Solid placements and super interesting. It was a serious mixed reef so no matter if you are looking for zoa placements, acans, or SPS there is a section you can copy. -Hope this helps and enjoy looking it over!!
Thanks! Exactly what im looking for!

OP
OP
Shawn4455

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the scape....gonna look cool covered in coral. I would use the shelves or bottom for the Euph and attach zoas vertically on all the available space (that isn't shaded) between the ledges.
In hindsight I wish I didn't have that many shelves, I didn't think about shading at the time :(

But I hope i can make this look good

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef march2020.JPG

The center is one flat piece of Haitian rock stood upright. Both sides are covered in mushrooms and a little top of brown palys. The colt on the left is holding it's own. I trim it occasionally. Years ago I had a torch on top. I tried zoas vertically on this piece and they never really took off. In the upper left I do have some midnight sun zoas climbing up the glass.

I was struggling with the shaded areas trying things in different areas, but I was finding flat unshaded surfaces having the most success. This past year I added a couple of T5's to each side with the original LED strip in the center to get a little more light to the edges, well see how things do. This is a standard 29 gallon tank.

Squist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
83D00925-8E02-4B1D-97CF-596B17E46471.jpeg

At 10 mos.

70132FE6-E82D-4287-9DCF-AF5FAF077321.jpeg

Three pieces: top shelf (three layers), the column, and 1/2” acrylic sheet (2’x1’). The top shelf layers are bonded with glue. Same with the column. The parts are held together with reef putty. The bottom of column glued and zip-tied to acrylic sheet.

E0E60D35-660C-4008-931F-5122017F5E1A.jpeg

The column is glued and tied to the acrylic sheet with zipties.

40 lbs of STAX total, including the little loose arrangement to right of pillar. Shelf’s and column’s pieces glued together before touching water. Then joined in tank.

Goal: SPS on top, zoas, shrooms down the column.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back