Anyone with experience with NICREW Reef Light on Deskmate 4.8g tank (or similar size)?

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen plenty of posts about the NICREW Reef Light (https://www.amzn.com/dp/B08D7D4DN8?th=1) for 10+ gallon tanks, but none for 4.8g Deskmate bundle. I was looking for a budget light, and this looks like what I would want. Let me know if any other details are needed, but I will be keeping some LPS and softy corals. A few questions for those with experience for this setup (I'd prefer not to have to rent a PAR meter for this, if possible):

1. How far in your experience do you have the light above the water?
2. What percentage do you set your blue and white?
3. 30w or 50w (I would imagine 30w, given how small this tank is)
3. Any other gotchyas or things I should know about?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Anyone have experience with this on a small tank like mine? I'm doing 20% white and blue, but wanted more input to see if that sounds right.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this light on a 3.8 lifeguard and its doing great 6 months in
Excellent! Can you please share your settings for this light? What percentage for white and blue as well as positioning, and amount of hours you leave it on per day? Even a picture of the tank would be cool if you wouldn't mind. Also, is yours the 30W?

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent! Can you please share your settings for this light? What percentage for white and blue as well as positioning, and amount of hours you leave it on per day? Even a picture of the tank would be cool if you wouldn't mind. Also, is yours the 30W?
I have the hyper reef 30w

I run 35% blue 1% white

Blastos, chalice, bubble gum digita monti, mushrooms,zoas, and palys.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hyper reef 30w

I run 35% blue 1% white

Blastos, chalice, bubble gum digita monti, mushrooms,zoas, and palys.
Interesting, any reason for only 1% white other than for aesthetics? How has the growth been?

alann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have a nicrew light, and I would personally go with the noopsyche mini next time. With easier lps and softies, you could probably get away with almost any light, but for best coloration I like the noopsyches.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have a nicrew light, and I would personally go with the noopsyche mini next time. With easier lps and softies, you could probably get away with almost any light, but for best coloration I like the noopsyches.
What specifically is better about that light that makes for better coloration?

alann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, I remember someone saying that the noopsyches are "budget" versions of xr15s and xr30s, like it essentially mimics the same leds from the radions or something like that. The support is definitely much more limited though if there are any problems, but I hear a lot of people complain about the mobius app as well. Three lfs owners I know complain about Mobius and I don't know many lfs owners. When I changed my nano tank light from a nicrew to the noopsyche, I think the colors just came out better. Just speaking from my experience with it though.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, I remember someone saying that the noopsyches are "budget" versions of xr15s and xr30s, like it essentially mimics the same leds from the radions or something like that. The support is definitely much more limited though if there are any problems, but I hear a lot of people complain about the mobius app as well. Three lfs owners I know complain about Mobius and I don't know many lfs owners. When I changed my nano tank light from a nicrew to the noopsyche, I think the colors just came out better. Just speaking from my experience with it though.
Appreciate the details! I may look into it later on if I feel like experimenting with a new light. Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back