Anyone with Melanurus and Grey Head Wrasse Experience?

OhioFrank28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ready to try adding a couple of wrasses to my FOWLR (Peaceful tank) and eventually, LPS/Softy 75 gal.
I want either a Male Melanurus or Grey Head and was wondering if anyone has had both and if so, which they preferred. I understand I take the risk of them eating my Zebra Hermits, Nassarius and Turbo Snails, to which I guess I would transition to Urchis for CUC ‍♂️.
If the wrasse addition goes smoothly, I would then like to choose between a Ruby Head, Pink Margin Fairy or Orange Back for a second.
Any input/advice from seasoned Wrasse lovers?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you my ruby head fairy was a bully to a flasher wrasse, ultimately chasing it out of the tank. It eventually also jumped; so a lid is highly recommended. Orange back and ruby head are of the same genus and are semi-aggressive towards other wrasse.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both H. melanurus and H. leucurus. They‘re both similar in behavior. I currently have a mel but I wouldn’t hesitate to get a grey head again if I could find one.

Either wrasse would be fine with any of those fairy wrasses you listed, but as Triggerfinger mentioned not all of those fairies will get along with each other.

OP
OP
O

OhioFrank28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both H. melanurus and H. leucurus. They‘re both similar in behavior. I currently have a mel but I wouldn’t hesitate to get a grey head again if I could find one.

Either wrasse would be fine with any of those fairy wrasses you listed, but as Triggerfinger mentioned not all of those fairies will get along with each other.
Yeah, I would choose 1 of the fairies to go with either the Melanurus or Grey Head. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
O

OhioFrank28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any idea why the Grey Head is considered “Moderate Care” Level vs an “Easy Care” level of the Melanurus? Is it a more finicky eater? Have you found one to be more colorful or active than the other?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my melanurus. He is about 5 inches but the nicest wrasse i have ever kept. Him and my bristletooth tang are best buddies and act like a bonded pair of clowns just always hanging out together. Even sleep together in a rock cave(there is sand for him he prefers the rock for some reason)

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why the Grey Head is considered “Moderate Care” Level vs an “Easy Care” level of the Melanurus? Is it a more finicky eater? Have you found one to be more colorful or active than the other?
My grey head was very active he cruised around the tank all day inspecting my corals and rock work for pods. He ate prepared foods with no problem. He also ate hermit crabs and snails. IMO the melanurus is more colorful than the grey head.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Salty I know this is a older thread but I wanted to get your option on having a me; and grey head in the same tank with a yellow wrasse?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Salty I know this is a older thread but I wanted to get your option on having a me; and grey head in the same tank with a yellow wrasse?
Shouldn't be a problem in a tank of your size. Where are you getting a grey head from? NYA has been getting them in just curious if other vendors are getting them, too.

crvz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Halichoeres genus and have kept quite a few over the years. Most of my experience is that they are quite peaceful amongst their own, but I do have a checkerboard wrasse (H. hortulanus) that has gotten a bit large (6" or so, though they can grow to about 11") and aggressive. I cannot keep other Halichoeres wrasses with him anymore and have recently isolated him to the refugium. So just keep that in mind, I think the grey head wrasse can get a little larger than the melanurus, but they're still pretty similar, I suspect you'd bet ok keeping both in the tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Halichoeres genus and have kept quite a few over the years. Most of my experience is that they are quite peaceful amongst their own, but I do have a checkerboard wrasse (H. hortulanus) that has gotten a bit large (6" or so, though they can grow to about 11") and aggressive. I cannot keep other Halichoeres wrasses with him anymore and have recently isolated him to the refugium. So just keep that in mind, I think the grey head wrasse can get a little larger than the melanurus, but they're still pretty similar, I suspect you'd bet ok keeping both in the tank.
Thank you so much for the feed back. I also am I big fan of Halichoeres genus.
I have a grey head coming!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%

Back