Anyone with Sea Lettuce/Ulva problem?

Reef Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with a Sea Lettuce/Ulva problem in their display tank... Just get Mexican Turbo Snails. 100% guaranteed to eat Ulva. You won't need many of them since they typically are the size of golfballs. I had an Ulva infestation in my 88 gallon display. Trochus, Ceriths, and Astrea snails would not touch it, neither would my Yellow Tang. Mexican Turbos eradicated it within days, never to be seen again. Have been without Ulva for six months now. Your Welcome.

Also, after the Ulva is gone, the Mexican Turbo Snails don't need any special treatment either. They just become part of the CUC and just graze on the rock and glass and do fine.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with a Sea Lettuce/Ulva problem in their display tank... Just get Mexican Turbo Snails. 100% guaranteed to eat Ulva. You won't need many of them since they typically are the size of golfballs. I had an Ulva infestation in my 88 gallon display. Trochus, Ceriths, and Astrea snails would not touch it, neither would my Yellow Tang. Mexican Turbos eradicated it within days, never to be seen again. Have been without Ulva for six months now. Your Welcome.
Ulva lactuca and not intestinalis?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right well just to be clear for others as the 2 ulvas often get mixed up even though they look quite different, Ulva intestinalis should not be a problem in most tanks.

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Lettuce/Ulva, the macro algae? How did you get an infestation? I had to BUY this stuff. Doesn't it grow in larger sheets that can be easily removed and floats? Unless I'm confusing it with some other nuisance algae.

I actually have some in the display for now until I can figure out my sump situation. Although, it's in an acrylic jail.

20230118_183944.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Alchemy

Reef Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right well just to be clear for others as the 2 ulvas often get mixed up even though they look quite different, Ulva intestinalis should not be a problem in most tank
Sea Lettuce/Ulva, the macro algae? How did you get an infestation? I had to BUY this stuff. Doesn't it grow in larger sheets that can be easily removed and floats? Unless I'm confusing it with some other nuisance algae.

I actually have some in the display for now until I can figure out my sump situation. Although, it's in an acrylic jail.

20230118_183944.jpg
I tried to use purchased Ulva lactuca in my refugium instead of Chaeto, with the intent of being able to use it to feed my Tangs, etc. At the time, I had very low nutrients and apparently low nutrients can "stress" Ulva and can cause Ulva to go "sexual". This created a major nuisance algae issue for me for months. I lost many frags due to this. To me, this Ulva explosion was worse than Dinos. Trochus, Astreas, and Cerith Snails would not touch it; neither would my Yellow Tang or Flame Angel. Mexican Turbo Snails solved the problem real fast though once I tried them out of desperation. I got rid of the Ulva in the refugium after this, but the Mexican Turbos ended up being so effective at eating/removing Ulva, that I probably could have kept it in my refugium anyway. It turns out that Chaeto is a better refugium algae anyways.

Here are some R2R threads showcasing an Ulva lactuca infestation:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back