Anything you wish you had done differently?

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am working on my seahorse tank plan I started wondering...Is there anything that you wish you had done differently? Is there advice you would give a newbie that you did that you wish you had gone a different way?

Cassi

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned this the hard way: don't put lawnmower blennies in seahorse tanks. They'll seem peaceful and shy at first, but once they get used to the tank, they'll try to bite the algae off of seahorses. The bites will get infected, usually killing the seahorse.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had more emergency supplies on hand. Emergencies always happen when stores are closed.

I wish I went with a bigger tank. I started with a 30 and then upgraded.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wish I had started at a younger age. I'm 77 now so the abs and barbs I have will be my last seahorses, assuming I outlast them of course.
It has been a great 18 years of learning and having these wonderful species.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wish I had started at a younger age. I'm 77 now so the abs and barbs I have will be my last seahorses, assuming I outlast them of course.
It has been a great 18 years of learning and having these wonderful species.

This made me sad, may you have another two healthy decades for enjoying your critters :)

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but it's not in the cards for me to live that long, but in any case, these seahorses are 4 yrs old and they won't live another 20.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with a mix of live and dry rock (a good thing imo) but I wanted to boost my cycle period by adding ammonium chloride. If I were to do it again I wouldn't have and would have just used bottled bacteria to preserve all life on the live rock and gone for a slower cycle period.

By adding the ammonium chloride I think I killed off a lot of things on the live rock or had them struggle to survive. They were looking pretty bad after I added the ammonium chloride. Life still perked back up on them afterwards as I still have some sponges and macro algae sprouting up, but think I could have done better by focusing more on preserving all life on it rather than focusing on just the cycling.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back