Anyway to get the green hairy algae in control

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with this green algae in my 2+ year old 70g tank, also have purple slime too. Not sure what went wrong since few months ago, I couldn't get it back in control.
I test my water parameters every week and all seems in range.

- took all the rocks out pulled the green algae by hand and lightly brushed with toothbrush put it back , in 2 weeks i seem them back, if i delay my cleaning it covers my sps and sps is lost.
- did the clean up again (spent the whole day) 2 weeks ago and all looked clean that time, today i see hairy all over again. i know if i start the clean its going to take too much time for me.
- someone suggested i ad phyto/pods, and i got Tommy's Phyto and Pods pack and adding them since, i see no different
- added a dozen snails, and most of them are seen on the glass rather than on the rocks and after 2 months i don't see them at all. (may be dead)
- I can tell there is some imbalance in my system, but tried to go non-synthetic way to get rid of, but so far no luck.

What can i do quickly take this in control and then when its control maintain a natural way?
wonder if i do a 50% water change it may help in anyway?

FYI:
my ph is always in the wave of 8.20 to 8.64 (apex always alerts me that its high)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An urchin will help, they will rearrange things though, as they like to decorate themselves. Lawn mower or starry blenny.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try turning down your lights for 3 days with the white, red and green totally off. Periodically turn off your skimmer. This worked for me because my nitrate and phosphate was too low. I scrubbed my rocks and vacuumed out everything I could.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with this green algae in my 2+ year old 70g tank, also have purple slime too. Not sure what went wrong since few months ago, I couldn't get it back in control.
I test my water parameters every week and all seems in range.

- took all the rocks out pulled the green algae by hand and lightly brushed with toothbrush put it back , in 2 weeks i seem them back, if i delay my cleaning it covers my sps and sps is lost.
- did the clean up again (spent the whole day) 2 weeks ago and all looked clean that time, today i see hairy all over again. i know if i start the clean its going to take too much time for me.
- someone suggested i ad phyto/pods, and i got Tommy's Phyto and Pods pack and adding them since, i see no different
- added a dozen snails, and most of them are seen on the glass rather than on the rocks and after 2 months i don't see them at all. (may be dead)
- I can tell there is some imbalance in my system, but tried to go non-synthetic way to get rid of, but so far no luck.

What can i do quickly take this in control and then when its control maintain a natural way?
wonder if i do a 50% water change it may help in anyway?

FYI:
my ph is always in the wave of 8.20 to 8.64 (apex always alerts me that its high)
What filtration do you use. Skimmer. Refugium. Algae scrubber or algae reactor. Filter socks are used to control nutrients.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back