Anyway to stop AP700 light bleeding into the room?

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a Kessil AP700 on a watebox 50.3. It is about 8-9” inches off the water surface. Absolutely love the light, but my wife is complaining about how blue it makes the whole room. I do agree that is does bleed into the room a ton. Is there anything I can do to help lessen this? I do not run diffusers on the fixture, not sure if those would help at all. Attached is a picture that kind of shows it.

Thanks!
K

62D841C8-7BC0-4A37-9685-51500267BBD9.jpeg

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just have no idea how I would be able to put a canopy on this tank without ruining its modern/rimless look

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy is the only option. Modern rimless look with exposed lights means an obscene amount of light pollution. It’s unavoidable.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish there was a way I could just make something to connect to the fixture itself

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’m skilled enough to do such a thing lol

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head over to your local sign shop and ask them if they work with a material called polymetal or max-metal. If they do, they almost certainly have a bunch of scrap. It's an aluminum skin with a plastic core, and super light - usually white on one or both sides.

It would be super easy to make a rectangle that is the same dimensions as the tank, and suspend it from the ceiling or some other mounting system. It would come really close to solving the problem, and it's really easy to cut and work with.

As a bonus, it's made to have vinyl applied to it, so you can have it in any color you can dream up. Just a thought...

I have a video of me building a reflector out of some of it, so if you want a visual of some of the material. I show it at about 1:55.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looks like you have a screen top on your tank.
If you do and you used clear netting, I would suggest trying some black netting ( from BRS).
I use it and it seems like there is alot less reflected light.

I agree, with the canopy. Maybe somesort of floating canopy ( attached at the wall?)
A few years ago I went to buy some coral and a guys house and he had one of those round kessil led fixtures and to reduce the light spill, his gf found a oriental style lamp shade that fit around it and looked pretty cool.
I realize your fixture is rectangle but maybe something unconventional can be made to work.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%

Back